General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

poping noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poping noise

Whenever I'm turning in reverse I hear a poping noise coming from the d/s front tire. Anyone know what could be wrong?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Launching!

I have the same 'popping' sound, but on the passenger side... I checked, and I have a bad outer tie-rod on that side. So, I bought 2 new ones (same part # I believe) to replace both the driver and passenger side since the car has 95K miles - I figure the other one would go out soon so might as well do them both if I'm going through the trouble. I don't have them on yet, but I'm fairly confident that they'll get rid of my 'pop'... I would check yours just to make sure.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Just to follow-up on this... I had both outer tie-rods changed, and so far (3 days now), I haven't head the 'pop' from the front suspension. According to my suspension guy, the tie-rod was very worn, so it could have easily made the popping sound, BUT, he said, in general they don't unless they're really worn. Hope that helps.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:57 PM

On your car would you hear it if you turned both ways? Mine only does it in reverse with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right. It won't do it if it's turned tot he left.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mobilebird
On your car would you hear it if you turned both ways? Mine only does it in reverse with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right. It won't do it if it's turned tot he left.
Similar to you, I would hear the pop mainly when I was backing out of the driveway... I would turn the wheel to the left in my situation, and it was the passenger side tie-rod that was bad. Yours seems to be the exact opposite... If I had to guess, I'd say your driver's side tie-rod is bad. Have you had a chance to check them yet? It's pretty easy to do... Just jack up the front end (you could do one side at a time if you want) and grab the front tire and try to move it as if you're turning left & right while watching the tie-rod joint. You shouldn't be able to move it at all if the steering wheel is locked or the other tire is on the ground.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow im glad i stubbled across the thread, i have the exact same issue as MOBILEBIRD.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Follow-up #2: Tomorrow, it will be a week since I had the tie-rods changed and the car realigned. Up until this morning, it seemed like the new tie-rods fixed the problem. After slowly backing out of the driveway today, and while coming to a stop at the end of my street, I heard the mysterious 'pop' from the passenger front once again. Damn! Well, at least I've narrowed it down. I don't think it's the upper control-arm bushings or the upper ball-joint because I had a good look at them when I changed the shocks/springs recently. Items still suspect are lower control-arm bushings and the lower ball-joint.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Don't forget to check your spindle bearing on that side.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm anybody know if this would happen to a car going forwards? well it seems like it happens to me on the drivers front side it makes a noise when i go over a bump or hit a dip on the road ( sorta like a thump or pop) on that side only?? anybody got a clue or this happen to them???
Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Launching!

Happens to me both in reverse and going forward. Check out this thread as well: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/649452-front-suspension-popping-clunking-when-backing-out.html
Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CULATR
hmmmm anybody know if this would happen to a car going forwards? well it seems like it happens to me on the drivers front side it makes a noise when i go over a bump or hit a dip on the road ( sorta like a thump or pop) on that side only?? anybody got a clue or this happen to them???
... same symptoms ... when turn the steering wheel right or left going forward. doesn't do it when I turn hard ... only when I turn the wheels about 10-15 degrees either direction. Doesn't do it if I'm turning the wheels hard right or left. Mainly happens when I pull in the driveway after coming home from work.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Mine did the same had the shop tighteen up the rack and pin and now its fine
Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

make sure uf front end parts are tight
Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Default Update?

Hey hey....did anyone ever find an absolute fix to this?

My popping occurs in the passenger side front and does it pretty frequently when turning and every once in a while when going straight.

I've checked the listed things: tie rod end, upper/lower ball joint, control arms, EVERY FREAKIN BOLT...but I may need to triple check some things...

SO..any more info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody B.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

... thought mine was coming from the same area and it ended up being my rearend. I hung my head over each wheel while somebody else slow drove the car. No noise from the any of the wheel areas and I had checked the entire suspension.

Quick Reply: poping noise