General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Noise....

Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Noise....

When i start my car in the morning i hear this winding sound. The guy i bought the car from said it was the power steering and right before i actually got the car he put some stop leak in it (he said it leaked one time or someting). I checked it out and that seems to be what it is. The sound goes away after a while and i dont notice anything wrong. I was just wondering if my PS pump is breaking, should i get a new one?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Might not hurt to bleed the air out of the PS system. If the system ran dry due to leak or there was an open in the system - it could have allowed air to be trapped in the pump.

When you install a new pump and fill for the first time there is a procedure you go thru to bleed the pump.

If the whining continues it's more than likely the pump is starting to go - I had a Ford Deathstar van back in the days of kids and had a lot of trouble with PS noise repeatedly...
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be low on fluid too
Old 01-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Flush the PS system first, and get fresh fluid in it. If you autocross, use Redline's PS fluid.

If the noise persists after flushing, the pump is on its way out. However, the noise can remain for quite a while depending on usage and really won't affect the pump's performance. Eventually the pump will die, but frequent fluid replacement (say, annually) will prolong the pump's life. That's what worked for me until I got a Turn 1 PS pump.

Search this Thread