General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plug change was a big disappointment!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Plug change was a big disappointment!

I was all hyped up about taking 4 hours to change the plugs because that is all I ever hear on here. It took me a whopping 48 minutes timed. All you need is a plug socket, and a swivel for your ratchet. Drivers side takes about 10 minutes with the only hard plug being #1 right by the brake lines and power steering pump. The passenger side takes about 30 minutes with most of that time going towards removing the coil packs. Then everything just drops right in like the drivers side. #8 goes right in from the top. Anyone scared about this, try it! Granted I am doing it with headers, but it could only take about double the time with manifolds still on.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Plug change was a big disappointment!

You are right about the hype. First time I did the plug change a coupole of years ago it took about 4 hours. I did one a few weeks ago and it took about 2 hours. Last weekend I went to check the plugs due to a rough idle. To remove, inspect and re-install took me no more than 1 hour. I now do the passenger side first (number 8 first) to get the hardest ones out of the way.

It is easier the more you do it. You learn the little tricks and places where you can save time.

- Tom