General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

out of balance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out of balance?

hey guys, i've had this problem with my car for a while that i've been ignoring cuz i didn't think much of it. but now it's getting really aggravating. anyway, my car doesn't like to go speeds in excess of about 90mph. everything is fine until then. after i reach 90mph i get this really bad vibration that sounds like it starts in the motor and shakes the rest of the drive train. for instance, the sound comes from the motor and then the center console begins to vibrate hard and shakes all of my lose change around. it's not my alignment, i've checked that. a friend of mine told me it could be my crankshaft. any ideas? thank you.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have a sim prob, mine is at 65 I get a vib and I can feel it in the seat, Iv'e been told it's the axle bearing.In your case it could be that or a bunch of other things. Possibly the trans. mount could be broken or the bushing is bad. The tourqe arm could be bent, or the bolts that bolt it to the rear could be loose. Tie rods, or bent axle, bent rim, bad tire, low press in the tire, flat spot on the tire. If you feel it in the seat more than likely it's in the back. If the wheel shakes more than likely it's in the front. Hope this doesn't break your spirts, lol, good luck.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar issue, get your car on a lift and look to see if there is slack on the driveshaft at the tailshaft of the tranny, and also look at where the driveshaft meets the pinion joint. slack in either places or both (in my case) will cause a harsh vibration. Took mine up to 115 at the track and thought my driveshaft was coming undone, shook everything. next day had it on a lift, and sure enough there was slack in both places, had to replace the rear pinion seal, and rear tranny seal and bearing.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Launching!

how much slack should there be? like, is it normal that i can twist the drive shaft a little?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fbodyfreek
how much slack should there be? like, is it normal that i can twist the drive shaft a little?
Same question, TTT!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

its the stock steel drive line same problem that i have with my 97 z i bought a ls1 drive shaft and sloved the problem (i even had it balanced and he said it was fine)-the old one but almost 100% sure its your drive line too look on ebay