General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuse Box connections

Old 02-05-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuse Box connections

I've been having some problems with my car starting and turning off while driving. For the last couple of days it would start up and I would get a bad whine/humming noise. The gages would flicker, the lights would dim, the rpms would go up and down, and it would turn off. It wouldn't stay on for that long.

I traced the problem to my fuse box. I'm suspecting there is a problem with a connection under the box and the wire is not contacting the connection correctly or it is corroded. Has anyone had to replace contacts under the fuse box or replace the entire fuse box and repin? Or is it a harness that you simply attach connectors under there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone that can help please. I was trying to find a part number for the fuse boxes on gmpartsdirect but couldn't find them. I only saw pictures of them and I asked at the dealership and they tried to sell me the complete wiring harness with the fuse boxes at $1300. Any part numbers for just the fuse box.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car is finally up and running well. I took every fuse out of the two boxes and checked them. All contacts were still intact, so I sprayed the living snot out of the box with some electrical cleaner. I did this about 4-5 times letting them dry in between and wiping them down to not leave anything wet behind. I put the fuses back in and the car fired up nicely. I missed my car even though I just went one week without it. This is probably good maintenance and insurance to preventing any future problems.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Hey, man. Thanks for sharing the story. I just wanted to chime in cause nobody replied. I tend to keep threads like this in mind when trying to get to the bottom of issues that have me stumped.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's just because people have no input on the problem. The funny thing about it is that I didn't get my car running sooner because I didn't have time. I had to wait an entire week to let Sunday come around so that I could take a look at it. My fuse box didn't look that dirty to be honest with you. I figure there are a lot of people that will develop the same problem that I had if they don't keep the contacts clean. Trust me, your car turning off on you when you're on the freeway taking a turn at 80mph can be very scary.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Try changing the ignition relay I cannot remember what box it is in. But, it does supply power to a whole bunch of circuits on the engine harness side and if it is developing arc spray on the contacts it could be losing voltage as it heats up and gains resistance. I am working on building me an ls1 harness for my s-10 and ran across this relay on alldata this weekend.

Search this Thread