General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

door handle busted

Old 02-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door handle busted

anyone change out the door handle? i tried a search but if it was there i missed it. about 2 years ago a piece of metal just fell out of the drivers side door handle which caused it to hang on on one side, and just a thread of it was still attached on the right side of the handle, anyway it still worked most of the time, the other day when working on my car someone else tried to use it and pulled to hard and now i have to get in through the passenger side which is a pain in the ***. id prefer not to spend $50 on the handle if i can help it. but more importantly how hard is it to change it out? the shell on the back of the door is not sealed no more so i might not have to take the interior door panel off to get to it.. not sure.

any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. seems like everything i fix, 2 other things break
Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Launching!

I am in the same boat as you! mine is hanging but on the passenger side but i dont' worry about it. I have the new one but it's not painted yet and i couldn't figure out how to take it off. I am going to take it to a body shop and have them do it...when i can find out what exact color my car was painted
Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

yeah mines a pain, the door spring is worn so if i open the door from the inside it closes half the time, so i roll the window down. pain the ***
Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

is the 93-02 camaro door handle the same as the trans am models? im thinking it is, but i dont have a camaro to look at, looked up a handle at bennet and he just gave me a HELP door handle, but its not smooth like the original its bevelled and rectangular. i see year one has them for camaros, was hoping its the same since they have 20% off right now. otherwise im trying the dealer or junkyard.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mine did that.. at the worse possible time. That day nothing was going right , it was one of those days. But i went to a junkyard paid $20 and took me about 30 minutes to change out. The guy pulled it out with the metal stems and stuff. it's just hard to get one of the clips to clip without two hands so i used pliers. You have to take the door panel off to get to it.

hope that helped a little.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

i think ill be able to get to it without taking the panel off, the glue on the end of the door just stopped holding the door panel so the you can pry it open a bit, but if i cant get my hand in there ill take the door panel off. just last time i did that, i could never get it to fit the same.

Search this Thread