General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlight burn out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight burn out.

alright so tonight i noticed my headlight was out in my 96 firebird.
never had to deal with this before so i need to know what buld i need to go get.

and also how do i change it?

thank you
Craig
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Is it just the light that's burned out? If it is, this is what I did to my '99 Firebird:

1) Make sure you purchase the correct style of light. (It is listed in the back of your owner's manual)

2) Take a phillips head screwdriver to the three screws holding the plastic piece that covers the lights (one on the left, one on the right, and one on the top middle)

3) Remove the plastic cover, then use the screwdriver to loosen and remove the defective bulb

4) Place the new bulb in its place, making sure that all the electrical connections are still in good working order

5) Make sure the new bulb works before you do anything else; you wouldn't want to go through the trouble of putting all the stuff back on only to find out you used a defective bulb

6) Adjust the light to aim straight BEFORE you re-attach the plastic cover; If the light is at an extreme angle when you put the cover back on, it won't go on right and will cause the plastic cover to warp and get caught under the hood when you close the lights. Personal experience*

6) NOW re-attach the plastic cover

Turn the lights on and off to make sure they work, and listen for any clunking sounds that may mean that the cover didn't go on straight and is getting caught under the hood. In this case, just go in and re-adjust the light angle. Remember, mine is a '99 so I'm not completely sure the lights are the same. They should be, though.

If none of this works, it may be a more in-depth problem...Can't help you there, I'm affraid.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

thank you. but one problem. i dont have an owners manual. wasnt in the car when i bought it.
would the bulb have what type it is listed on it when i take it out?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be the same as my 97, which uses an H-6545.