General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I change my oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I change my oil pump?

Hi folks,

I have zero oil pressure on the gauge and the "check gauges" light is lit. I figuired I shouldnt drive it any where till I fix it.Tomorrow i will :

1.check my fuses (if not)
2. hook up another oil gauge and see if it shows any pressure (if not)
3. I can only assume its my oil pump. So I guess I will change it. Im not rich and there are no decent shops around so, I am stuck doing it myself. Any information on oil pumps or how the heck to change them is SUPER DUPER appreciated.

Thanks,

Crystal

pictures or diagrams are always welcome. I went thru all of the reciepts for then engine build and didnt see anything about a oil pump so until i get in touch with the shop that built the car I will assume it has a stock oil pump. Guess I will change my procharger belt, plugs and oil while i am at it. I tell ya when it rains it pours
Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=4

That should be a start. Goodluck
Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Thank u very much. I read thru it and although not impossible I know it wont be easy. I need to get my super charger out of the way first and then get to the rest. Its a great article. I had looked on installuniversity first but hadnt seen anything.

Thanks a milllion.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok well your from fl....sooo i gotta take care of one of my own...

first dont assume its your oil pump right away....if your car is not running rough, overheating, or dropping oil....you might want to look at other possibilities before ripping out your front end...

1. your oil sending unit-its right behind your intake manifold, a round cyl. type tube...this gauges your oil pressure and they have a tendacy to break reallllly easily...check this first...
2. the gauge cluster
3. the oil pump...they usually dont fail all the way because there driven off of the car and not electricaly....if one fails it usually still provides MINIMAL oil pressure....
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

welp its official. its not the gauge so i will tear apart intake and check the sender unit regardless I am ordering the parts for the oil pump change. Im a little nervous but it aint brain surgery so... we'll see how it goes. Once again thanks for the how to article it will come in veryyyyyy handy.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sending unit FTW.....dont be to hasty, with the pump change....what are the specs on your car? miles etc....