General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

25K oil change interval?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 25K oil change interval?

whats up guys!! well, the other day a guy walked into my job. he was wearing an amsoil jacket. so i asked him if thats what he uses. he says " what do u know bout amsoil.", i say " i hear its pretty good." then he says " its not good!, " its the best." so in back of my mind im like okay dude. then he gives me his card and this and that.so hes an amsoil dealer. says hes the only one in the area that can get it. he said there oil is so good that u change your oil out ever 25k miles!! . but he said all u have to do is just change the oil filter. i know some guys on here do that, change the oil every 5-6 k but change the filter only. so i what do u guys think? bunch of b.s. or what? 25k oil changes..
Old 02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would read the fine print on that. its prolly under certain circumstances. but hey i don't know anything cause i still change my Mobil 1 every 4,000
Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope it's true I have been running it in both of my vehicles for the last three years. You have to use their ea series oilfilters with the synthetic media to make the full 25k though. I have sent in the oil every now and then to get it checked and it came back clean. But I do all highway driving 3hour + trips and no intown. We have sold amsoil through our shop for the last fourteen years and have never had a problem.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, 25k miles? I used to change my Mobil 1 every 3k miles, but after reading about it some, I've decided to extend that. My current oil has been in there for about 4k miles, and I'll probably change it around 6k.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Stock and normal driving conditions = 25k. Chances are if you own an f-body you dont fall into that category. Go to the amsoil website and read up. Im gonna try amsoil on my next 2.5k.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

"SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows"

I personnaly would not wait 25k, i change my oil at roughly 2-2.5k whenever it gets dark on the dipstick it comes out. I know thats probably a little excessive, but im hard on the car, but thats what i bought it for.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Launching!

AMSOIL does warranty some of there oils for 25,000 miles or 1 year under normal service when used with their EaO filters. The majority (99.5%) of members here would fall under the severe service guidelines. See the G1490 Interval Guide link below.

Here are the normal, severe, and modifications small print.

Normal Service defined as - Personal transportation vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles at a time and not operating under severe service.

Gasoline Engine Severe Service defined as - Turbo/supercharged engines, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive engine idling, first and subsequent use of AMSOIL engine oil in vehicles with more than 100,000 miles, daily short trip driving less than 10 miles (16km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty-condition driving.

Modifications and Alterations - Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips, non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf
Old 02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

98% of us are better off sticking with working our way to extended oil changes of 5 to 8k miles or more using good oil and a used oil analysis (UOA) program from Blackstone Labs.

Extremely extended oil changes are for those people that drive A LOT. They are well served by not having to do oil changes every couple of weeks or month. For everybody else it's just a hobby.

Visit the BOBISTHEOILGUY website for a HUGE amount of UOAs and discussions of good and bad points of extended drains. In fact, their thread on discussing Amsoil is one of the longest there. For many Amsoil provides solid benefits. For others, not necessarily so. And for yet others Amsoil is a religion looking for converts.

But, again, 25k mile intervals are for the few. Sounds cool, but don't try to make it fit if it ain't right for you.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You are dead on. Both of mine are modded with the usual boltons and small cams. But they are beat on occasionally, never go to the track, and 99.85 percent of the time cruising with the cruise on 70 for usually never any less than 45 minutes one way. I live below san antonio and drive back and forth to college station every weekend. Then the usual weekend tripentails a trip or two to san antonio and three rivers for work. My 98 has a big block in it and two gallons of 15/40 delo and a filter is right at 50 bucks once a month. In my big truck and my ls powered s-10 I run the amsoil 15/40 diesel oil.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

he said there oil is so good that u change your oil out ever 25k miles!! .

You can save money on your water bill by taking a shower only once a month too, but jeez! Personal opinion; oil is the last place to look for savings. It's the blood of the car. Change mine 4 times a year regardless of milege. M-1. Just the way I do it, people here get all heated up over oil preferences.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ghardester
he said there oil is so good that u change your oil out ever 25k miles!! .

You can save money on your water bill by taking a shower only once a month too, but jeez! Personal opinion; oil is the last place to look for savings. It's the blood of the car. Change mine 4 times a year regardless of milege. M-1. Just the way I do it, people here get all heated up over oil preferences.

+1.. i agree
Old 02-28-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

+2 ... but to each their own...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 here, totally agree!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

the longest i would wait would be every 4000 miles. but hey if you wanna wait 25k miles then go ahead
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I do 5K with my EF Castrol 0W30 and KN Filter. If I make a few track trips I would probably change it sooner.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think I've EVER gone anywhere without going WOT at least a couple of times. I still change mine every 3000. Obsessive compulsive disorder I suppose.