General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SS is 10yrs old w/ 19k miles – What to change/replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS is 10yrs old w/ 19k miles – What to change/replace?

I own a ’97 SS(A4) with around 19,700 miles on it. The car runs great and there are no issues. The pervious owner said that he changed the oil himself every 3-4 months. As I said, the car only has 19k miles, but its 10 yrs. old. Is there anything/fluids that I should replace, change out? Should I just wait for things to eventually break, and then replace them? I just keep thinking about the fact that all the fluids in the car are 10 yrs old.(radiator fluid, exc.)

What are some things that you guys recommend that I change/replace? Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Change all of the fluids for safety sake. Leave everything else alone and drive the damm thing it's a new car. No need to spend money where it is not necessary. If it has never had tires I would not chance that but they are the only thing I would change.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I have some experience in this area. When I bought my ’98 it was nearly 7 years old with only 11k miles and nothing on the car had ever been touched other than regular oil changes.

Here is what I would recommend:

Definitely get a coolant flush ASAP. With 10 year old coolant, it’s WELL past time for some fresh antifreeze.

Consider a belt change. With 10 years of aging on the rubber, it wouldn’t hurt to be replaced. I changed mine at very low mileage as well, and even though they looked ok, 7 years had aged them. The new belts were quieter.

A fuel filter change would be a good idea as well. It’s a good idea to keep those changed every 10-15k miles on any car. If yours is the stock filter with 19k miles on it, I’d change it out.

Check the air filter as well. Replace if needed.

As mentioned above, take a good look at the tires. If you see any signs of dry rotting, cracking, etc., swap those out.

When I bought mine I also dropped the trans pan and changed the filter + added some fresh fluid. It seemed to shift a little better after that, not that is was bad before, but the shifts just felt a little more precise with the fresh fluid. I didn’t flush the system, just put in about 4-5 new quarts of fluid with the filter change.

I did a diff service as well, never hurts to change out the old fluid.

I also changed some of the brake and power steering fluid. I didn’t fully flush either system, but I drained some of the fluids and refilled with fresh.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

If you're flushing the coolant, you might as well replace the upper and lower radiator hoses. I noticed on my car that these hoses had a manufacture month/year stamped on them (at least the upper did), and they were 7 years old. They looked fine, but they're cheap and easy to replace. I don't know if it's overkill with today's quality materials, but I always heard 5 years for belts/hoses.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MrEddie
If you're flushing the coolant, you might as well replace the upper and lower radiator hoses. I noticed on my car that these hoses had a manufacture month/year stamped on them (at least the upper did), and they were 7 years old. They looked fine, but they're cheap and easy to replace. I don't know if it's overkill with today's quality materials, but I always heard 5 years for belts/hoses.
FWIW. I kept my stock hoses. They are original from 1998, but are still just fine....

I think belts wear a lot faster than hoses, in my experiance. For example, my '96 Bonneville has the stock hoses as well (70K miles on the car), yet I've had to replace the belt 3 times now.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-01-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback... I will defintely get it into a shop as soon as the weather clears up around here.

RPM WS6 - Nice find - 7 yrs. old with only 11k... not bad! Do you ever go to the shows in Downers, Lombard, or Elmhurst? I'll be going to the one in Downers a lot. Hopefully Ill see your car there sometime, it looks clean.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rabbit's97SS
RPM WS6 - Nice find - 7 yrs. old with only 11k... not bad! Do you ever go to the shows in Downers, Lombard, or Elmhurst? I'll be going to the one in Downers a lot. Hopefully Ill see your car there sometime, it looks clean.
Thanks!

Both the previous owner and myself have only used the car for perfect weather cruising and car shows. It now has only 14,000 miles at 9 years of age.

Your car looks great too! It's in amazing condition. I saw all the pics you posted in the Introduction Section of this site, looks great.

I usually don't make it to the shows in the south and southwestern 'burbs, but I'd like to see yours in person too so I'll have to try and make one this year. Where is the Downers Grove show located at? I've never been to that one.

Check out the Midwest Section for other local gatherings as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

RPM WS6 - WOW!... that '98 sounds nice! I didnt realize that Lincolnwood was so far north and east. It would probably take you 45min. to get to Downers. The car shows are every Friday night during the summer from 6-9pm. They are held in downtown Downers. Once you get off of 88, its straight shot south on Highland Ave to town. I personally think theres a really good turn out, +100 cars every time. There are a lot of old school muscle,LS1, exc. I do remember "not" seeing any LT1 SS's, so Im looking forward to bringing my car and seeing if anyone notices it. Well, hopefully at some point during the summer I will be able to see your car up close. Take care.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris i would do what RPM said.. Coolant flush and, belt change.

The only draw back you your LT1 is the opti spark. That goes bad quick..

Congrats on the car again. and my mom said that she e-mailed me your info, but i do not have it here at home, maybe she sent it to my work.. anywyas PM with your cell #
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rabbit's97SS
Well, hopefully at some point during the summer I will be able to see your car up close. Take care.
Likewise.

I'll try to hit some of those Downers Grove shows this year.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flush the tranny and change tis filter along with all your other fluids and dont forget the posi fluid
Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

i would change all the fluids/tires/belts/filters.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Coolant, brake & power steering fluid, fuel & air filter. Then just drive it and go from there.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks again guys for your input.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Teching In

I'd replace your fenders. Also, the engine.

The first few posts had good advince on here otherwise!