General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil dipstick tube broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil dipstick tube broken

after trying to pull the dipstick tube out to do headers, i noticed that it had broken clean right where o-ring sits. how do i get the other half out of there? i dont think the pan will come out but might come down. any ideas would greatly be appreciated. and i thought this was going to be easy........
Old 03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know what it is called but there is a tool available at hardware stores that that looks similar to a tap. it has backwards threads on it and is used to extract broken tubing from fittings. I have used one before and it gets a pretty good bite. I have one in my tool box at home that I can take a picture of, but it will me Monday before I can post it.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

thanks, Im about willing to try anything. Ill look for the post and pic. thanks again
Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
I don't know what it is called but there is a tool available at hardware stores that that looks similar to a tap. it has backwards threads on it and is used to extract broken tubing from fittings. I have used one before and it gets a pretty good bite. I have one in my tool box at home that I can take a picture of, but it will me Monday before I can post it.

This is what he is talking about. Go to Sears they have this extractor set for like $11. One of these should fit and be able to pull it out. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

i actually have a set of those. not much room to get up in there although. are you guys doing this with the motor still in the car?? I will have to take the starter off and see how much room that gets me. i tried pushing the new tube in but it wont go. thought it might push the other half into the pan, which im glad it didnt because i see no way of lowering that pan while its still in the car. thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

well tried that and ended up pushing it into the pan. maybe i can fish it out of the drain hole. wish me luck.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Get one of those telescoping things that looks like a small antenna with a magnet on the end and see if you can fish that into the pan thru the oil drain hole and get it out thru the drain hole. I dont know if it will be too large to fit back thru the hole but give it a try!!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

yeah thats about my only option at this point because Im not pulling the motor.