General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

some weird electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some weird electrical problems

ok, i think my battery might be dying but i figured id run it buy the board before i go blow 100 bucks on a battery.

CLIFFS AT BOTTOM

It all started when i installed my hid's around christmas time. they were the ones from nathan/ls1ss the board sponsor. i installed them and i turned them on with the car off and then the car wouldnt start. so i got a jump and had no problems after that.

lately though ive been having some odd problems. first was on a cold morning ( i live in FL so cold is 40 degrees) she had trouble starting, but after a few tries it would turn right over. eventually it got a little harder to turn it over but it always started. until about two weeks ago it was about 40 degrees again in the morning and i hit my keyless entry and it unlocked fine, headlights flashed and all but when i put my key in it to start it there was no charge....car was completely dead. so i tried it a few more times and nothing. went inside tried it again and it started right up.....ok.... its done this a few times. Now this is what really gets me. ill driving, with my stereo off, and headlights off and my gauges will jump. lets say im doing 50mph, theyll bounce to 60 and come back down. same with the rpm, and battery gauge. fuel and temp stay the same. and at night, when i have the HID's on, the car will run fine for awhile but will eventually start the gauge thing again and my headlights will kind of flicker and dim. what the hell is up with this, battery, alternator? hopefully not my pcm. thanks guys.

cliffs: trouble with cold starts, sometimes wont start in the am, have hids and they flicker at night, gauges bounce....
Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Can you put old lights back in? Maybe it is the lights.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bring the battery in for a free load test.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got a day off tomorrow so im gonna hit up autozone. has nothing to do with the HID's because it does this even when they are not on.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

You might also want to make sure all of your electrical connections are tight.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to start simple with electrical problems. The first thing I would try is cleaning the battery terminals. And like the previous post says, make sure everything is tight. Then have the battery and alternator checked, the parts chain stores do it for free.