General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help with my ford taurus, plugged cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my ford taurus, plugged cat?

Hey I need some suggestions before I decide to start tearing **** up. I have an 02 ford taurus and lately it has been having a very rough idle and now it has started to misfire, flashing light and all. It does it at idle and right as I come off idle buy goes away once the rpm's go up a little. I recently replaced the entire EGR system, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and i cleaned the MAF.

I am now thinking it is a plugged catalytic converter. Does this sound reasonable for what i am experiencing? This is pissing me off and I need to fix it because its driving me nuts.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

could be a coilpack. I have had a lot of those go bad on the taurus' through the shop. If it's been missing long enough it could have killed the converter.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
could be a coilpack. I have had a lot of those go bad on the taurus' through the shop. If it's been missing long enough it could have killed the converter.
Thanks man, I was going to replace the coil assy, but I thouight it was ok since it runs fine once I get going. Wouldnt a bad coil run like **** through the entire RPM range?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends, DIS does weird **** when they start acting up it's like trying to diagnose a woman sometimes.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Depends, DIS does weird **** when they start acting up it's like trying to diagnose a woman sometimes.
I guess ill try replacing it. This car has been 100% trouble free for 140k miles until very recently.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

had a pretty similar situation to another car i had, it turned out to be a coil pack, if you can get to the wires easy, what i did was hook a timing light up to all the different wires and could easily tell which one wasnt firing correctly
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderstruck
had a pretty similar situation to another car i had, it turned out to be a coil pack, if you can get to the wires easy, what i did was hook a timing light up to all the different wires and could easily tell which one wasnt firing correctly
Ill just replace the coil assembly, all 6 are part of one big pack on this car so its a single part for all 6.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

It seems to be the fuel injectors, I think 2 of them are shot. i unplugged #3 and the engine did not respond and #4 barely responded..
Old 03-09-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unplugging the injectors helps you determine a power balance problem, not necessarily an injector problem. Sounds like cylinders 3 and 4 are misfiring. And over the last 10 years of working on Fords exclusively, I've replaced maybe 2 injectors. Fords injectors just don't go bad.

And you never stated what engine you have... 12v or 24v?

What plugs and wires did you use when you did the tune up?

And when you replaced the entire EGR system (why?), did you also update the DPFE?

From all the symptoms you're describing, especially the misfire diminishing when not at idle, suggests burned/leaking exhaust valves, which are quite common.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Unplugging the injectors helps you determine a power balance problem, not necessarily an injector problem. Sounds like cylinders 3 and 4 are misfiring. And over the last 10 years of working on Fords exclusively, I've replaced maybe 2 injectors. Fords injectors just don't go bad.

And you never stated what engine you have... 12v or 24v?

What plugs and wires did you use when you did the tune up?

And when you replaced the entire EGR system (why?), did you also update the DPFE?

From all the symptoms you're describing, especially the misfire diminishing when not at idle, suggests burned/leaking exhaust valves, which are quite common.
12V engine. Yes 3 and 4 are misfiring sometimes, only at idle, it drives fine off idle. Bosch platinum plugs, autozone wires.

I replaced the EGR because the EGR vacuum regulator broke so I replaced all EGR components at the same time. I replaced the regulator, EGR valve, and the DPFE. The EGR system is working fine now.

Maybe ill borrow a leak down tester and check it out.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
Bosch platinum plugs,
THROW THOSE AWAY IMMEDIATELY!

Those plugs are junk, and are the root source of so many misfire problems that you just can't imagine... google it. I encounter these pieces of trash on at least a weekly basis with all sorts of misfire and CEL issues - and the customer often argues with me because he just paid $10/each for "the best plug money can buy" - yet all the concerns started immediately after the plugs were installed. If the misfire continues after the proper plugs are put in (Motorcraft platinum are cheaper and work better), then post again.

Edit: A plugged converter will not affect idle at all 99 times out of 100. The most common symptom is the inability to rev the engine past 2500-3000RPM, and a severe lack of power. When you replace those junk plugs (YOU WILL REPLACE THOSE!), disconnect the battery while working on the car for safety first of all, and to reset both any DTCs stored and the adaptive fuel trims.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 03-09-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

THROW THOSE AWAY IMMEDIATELY!

Those plugs are junk, and are the root source of so many misfire problems that you just can't imagine... google it. I encounter these pieces of trash on at least a weekly basis with all sorts of misfire and CEL issues - and the customer often argues with me because he just paid $10/each for "the best plug money can buy" - yet all the concerns started immediately after the plugs were installed. If the misfire continues after the proper plugs are put in (Motorcraft platinum are cheaper and work better), then post again.

Edit: A plugged converter will not affect idle at all 99 times out of 100. The most common symptom is the inability to rev the engine past 2500-3000RPM, and a severe lack of power. When you replace those junk plugs (YOU WILL REPLACE THOSE!), disconnect the battery while working on the car for safety first of all, and to reset both any DTCs stored and the adaptive fuel trims.
Thanks man. I dont like Bosch plugs either but that was all the store had at that time. I will swap em out tommorow and see what happens. Hopefully it fixes the problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I replaced the plugs with champion coppers and the problem seems to have cleard up a little bit, but it is still there, just not as much. It only misfires and runs a bit rough when i idle. Almost everytime I touch the gas the roughness stops instantly.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
I replaced the plugs with champion coppers and the problem seems to have cleard up a little bit, but it is still there, just not as much. It only misfires and runs a bit rough when i idle. Almost everytime I touch the gas the roughness stops instantly.
You went from the worst plug that you could put in that engine, to the second worst. Champions are crap too, just less expensive. They only work in late model Mopars. Again, and finally, PUT IN MOTORCRAFT

Autolites will work too, but they a far from optimal. Ford has redesigned their platinum plug line 4-5 times in the last few years. Autolite still uses the original design.

And while you're at it, ohm out those AutoZone wires during a wiggle test with the wires hot...
Old 03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

You went from the worst plug that you could put in that engine, to the second worst. Champions are crap too, just less expensive. They only work in late model Mopars. Again, and finally, PUT IN MOTORCRAFT

Autolites will work too, but they a far from optimal. Ford has redesigned their platinum plug line 4-5 times in the last few years. Autolite still uses the original design.

And while you're at it, ohm out those AutoZone wires during a wiggle test with the wires hot...
I guess I myself. Ill wait till monday to go get some motorcraft plugs, lol.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I put motorcraft plugs today and the problem is still there. Still idles a little rough.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Time for a compression test. These engines have unusually high cranking compression - often over 200psi. A cylinder with anything lower than the rest is likely a burned exhaust valve, ESPECIALLY if you've ever had your coolant turn to coffee (dark brown and smells nasty ). The cooling systems on the engines are crap, and often clog much of the system, including the cylinder head ports which overheat the exhaust valves.

How did the wires check?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Time for a compression test. These engines have unusually high cranking compression - often over 200psi. A cylinder with anything lower than the rest is likely a burned exhaust valve, ESPECIALLY if you've ever had your coolant turn to coffee (dark brown and smells nasty ). The cooling systems on the engines are crap, and often clog much of the system, including the cylinder head ports which overheat the exhaust valves.

How did the wires check?
I didnt bother to check the wires, I am assuming they are ok since they are brand new. Yeah my coolant has changed color too and I read up on the net about those issues. Ill have to do a compression test and see whats going on. At least heads for this car are faily cheap if thats what it is.

Quick Reply: Need help with my ford taurus, plugged cat?