General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ac comp clutch low press switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac comp clutch low press switch ?

ok my car(99 ls1) threw the ac belt over the winter so I just left it off. I went to replace it today and now the compressor wont kick on. we tried jumping the low press switch and can get the fans to come on but there is never any voltage to the comp. clutch. had a voltmeter on the line. checked the fuse and swapped the relay with the fuel pump relay so I know the relay was good. there is a chance it could possibly be low on freon(was working when belt came off though) but until I can get the compressor to kick on I can't fill it. I'm not sure if we where jumping the right wires on the press switch since there are 3 wires. also the combination that makes the fans come on with the AC switch on does not effect the comp clutch. Any ideas

I also unhooked the battery for awhile incase there was anything in the pcm
Old 03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, if it is low on freon (an assumption) then you have to connect the bottle to it and insert some freon before the clutch will kick on. Then continue to fill. But that is only if low pressure is the issue.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's out of freon you may as well go ahead and put a compressor on it that is the only way to fix it right. 9 times out of ten that is where your leak will be it will either be the front seal or the case halves. You cannot jumper the switch to make it work because it is not a open close style switch. It is a piezo electric disc that actually gives the pcm pressure readings via varying voltages from five volts to zero.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

It turns out it was a little low on freon, but some in and clutch kicked on. I have one more ? though am I supposed to ckeck the pressure with the system running or not. this is on the low side btw
Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1formula2000
It turns out it was a little low on freon, but some in and clutch kicked on. I have one more ? though am I supposed to ckeck the pressure with the system running or not. this is on the low side btw
Check the pressure on the same fitting that you filled it at. It should be running when you check pressure.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

ok and what should that pressure be when it's running I think mine is around 40-45psi and the AC works fine now.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

dead normal, when they get older a cold weather will make the front seal seep. If it holds leave it alone and let it go, with the cost of parts it's cheaper to add a can until it gets to the point of running out within a few day's. If they leak real bad doing this can also kill the compressor after it has been topped a few times and no oil is added back to the system.