General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clunk from rear of car when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk from rear of car when turning left

Whenever I turn my car to the left, like if i'm entering a parking lot or pulling away from a stop sig, I get a loud clunk and a jolt coming from the rear of my car. I don't see anything that looks completely FUBAR underneath the car and I haven't hit anything. What do I need to be checking for?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Broken rearend what type of car do you have?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

98 Z28 M6

I kinda figured it was the rearend, but how can I be sure? Take the cover off and look for carnage?
Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Im having the same problem but i get it when turning right. It feels like my whole rear end hops a bit and then i hear loud clunks. Any idea?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:28 PM

Default clunks

I know this sounds off the wall, but I used to get a clunk when I put my corssica in reverse. It felt like the rear end, but it was only my brake pedal switch. ($4.00) back in 1993. If you have cruise control and don't turn it off every time you are not using it, then the brake pedal switch stays on and when it goes out, the car clunks loud in regular pattern (turning left, or turning right, or putting the car in reverse) and it feels like and sounds like it comes from the rear end.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

broken posi unit.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine sounds kind of like marbles in a can when I turn left going slow, around 10-20 MPH. Mine is also not very loud of the radio is on I would have a hard time hearing it. I have a 2002 and found that some consider it normal? I'm not sure how normal it really is but I had the cover off a couple of months ago to change to fluid and did not see anything out of place.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

marbles are normal. Mine has done that since new and the T2 posi still works like new.

A single clunk and or hopping is not normal. Open it up and look. You should change the fluid every so often...I do mine at 15k and only replace the gasket only every other time. Use synthetic 75w-90 gear oil and you don't need the GM friction modifier on Torsen type diffentials.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
broken posi unit.
Are you sure of this? My friend who has an 00 TA M4 is having the same problem (when turning left) and the stealerships are giving her the run around.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SevenT6Vet
Are you sure of this? My friend who has an 00 TA M4 is having the same problem (when turning left) and the stealerships are giving her the run around.
If it is a clunk and a jolt/jerk with it there is definitely a problem. If is is still under some kind of warrenty, your friend needs to demand that they verify that something is wrong and fix it. Have a tech or a service write take a ride with him and show them what it is doing. Now if it is not under warrenty and they will not take his money then I would try a different should to confirm his concerns.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

jack the rear of the car up and spin one tire, and see if the other one spins or not.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Def the posi.... i would not drive it like that if i where you a budy of mine had this happen along with it happening to my 10bolt but we thought it would be ok to keep running around on but we where driving and the damn axle sheered out of the housing at 40mph and focked up the whole back end of the car....they allmost totaled it we were on the bumper draging and spining out total destruction of the left rear body panels along with the frame being pretty brused up and the axle housing was craked in the process of the car falling on to it and draging a good 200ft.
(my rear didnt come apart i got it fixed imidiatly while he kept driving for about 3months with it like that and everytime he would make a left it would pop up and the whole car would snap back than his axle came out)

Last edited by mattraypharbor; 08-03-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the C5, the stealership recommends adding another bottle of limited slip for that clunk sound when turning. I did and it took care of my problem. Not sure if it will work on an fbody though.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

mine recently started doing the same thing...serviced the rear and it was full of metal shaving and chunks of my spider gears...havent driven the car since, but im sure the rear doesnt have much life left in her....
Old 08-19-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sixthfloorfreak
Whenever I turn my car to the left, like if i'm entering a parking lot or pulling away from a stop sig, I get a loud clunk and a jolt coming from the rear of my car. I don't see anything that looks completely FUBAR underneath the car and I haven't hit anything. What do I need to be checking for?
Sounds to be that something is going on inside your rear differential. Like others are saying, it could be that your posi has wore out. I actually just had a problem with my rear end just yesterday and I did a complete tear down of the rear end. I've my 98 z28 m6 for 2 weeks now and the rack and pinion (with posi included) needs to be replaced. The guy replaced the rear end and he didn't tighten the bolt on the u joint to the pinion properly. So the bolt walked out and the pinion started to tear into my posi housing. Pretty f'in awesome.

Oh well, you live and learn. I found it an excuse to just tear the rear end apart and get some experience under my car.

anyways, just raise up your vehicle and unbolt the rear differential cover on the back and take a look. If the problem is as you describe it to be, you'll see why.

BTW, if anything is wrong inside your differential I would take it to a shop. I know it would save you money on the labor if you did it yourself but odds are you won't dial it in properly or get every bolt tight enough so save yourself the hassle and get a professional to do it.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I know this is an old thread but why would I make a new one when I have the EXACT same problem as the OP.

Except thad I just poped off the rear end cover to find nothing broken . If I turn one tire (or rather brake disc as the wheels are off) the other turns as well, I can not get one to turn with the other stationary (or reverseing). Is this ok?

What do I need to do/look for? Have I overlooked something important?

My car is a 2000 T/A 6 speed. I can upload pictures of the rear end if nescessary.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a clunk type noise that would happen when I was turning into parking lots to the left. Wouldn't happen all the time, just every now and then. Told the shop to look for something loose in the rear when they were doing the oil and belt change to see if they noticed anything. Said they found a loose bolt to the track bar in the rear so they tightened it up. Haven't heard the noise since.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Launching!

I took the diff out yesterday. I can't get any of the gears inside the diff to turn yet. I'm going to disassemble the diff some time this week once I get a bearing puller to get the bearings off each end.

Getting the left axle out was a huge pain, I had to sledge hammer it in to get the c clip off, then I had to pound it out with a rod from the other side.

Once I got the diff out I found a piece of what looked like a metal ring in the right axle tube. But I can't find the rest of what it could have been from. It looked quite a bit thicker than the shims.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robins Midnight Blue
I know this sounds off the wall, but I used to get a clunk when I put my corssica in reverse. It felt like the rear end, but it was only my brake pedal switch. ($4.00) back in 1993. If you have cruise control and don't turn it off every time you are not using it, then the brake pedal switch stays on and when it goes out, the car clunks loud in regular pattern (turning left, or turning right, or putting the car in reverse) and it feels like and sounds like it comes from the rear end.
that would be a problem being as a corsica is front wheel drive and doesnt have a rearend
Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Lol at above post...................completely owned.

Quick Reply: Clunk from rear of car when turning left