General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gauges problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default gauges problem please help

ok i have been having problems with my car for the past few months but now it seems to be getting worse here lately. my speedo bounces around and sometimes says 50mph when i am stopped. sometimes it workes properly but most of the time it just bounces around. also when i got WOT it will drop dead to zero also. i swaped the vss with another one out of a used tranny and still same problem. many people said it was a battery problem. i bought a red top optima and still same problem. when i hook up HPT i have 10.1 volts at the bottom that it says is the VCM voltage and 11.4 when the car is running. i have 12.3 volts at the orange power wire going to the computer and my voltmeter in the car is showing around there, i know its not really accurate but its in the range i would say. next now some of the other gauges "go dead" fuel level, water temp, and tach will go dead at different times as well. some times all together and other times its just one of them, in no paticualar order. if anyone has any idea what to check i am willing to try just about anything now. thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problems with my speedo and my gas gauge will go dead it I let it set and idle. I narrowed it down to the dash gauge cluster it's self(90% sure).
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am thinking i am going to swap that cause i know where a wrecked 99 is close to my house and also possibly swaping the computer as well
Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

swaped PCM's and still same peoblem guess i am going to try cluster next. anyone have any other ideas?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instrument cluster circuit board could be going berzerk! There are places that will re-build your cluster, I have sent out some yukon/tahoe cluster assemblies for repair for a somewhat similar problem; I think there might be a TSB on this.
There could also be a chance that your PCM needs a new GM flash.
Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have hptuners and have done a full write and even swapped in another PCM.

is there another computer besides the one for the engine say one for all the body stuff (door locks) and abs, A/C things like that or do they use the PCM for it all?

i guess i am going to try another cluster first and see what that does. thanks for the help