General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

all power shuts off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all power shuts off!!!

I have an intermittent problem I need some help with. Last week when it was cold (around 35 degrees) when I started the car, the idle was varying from normal down to about 300 rpm almost dying, until it warmed up. It did this a time or two, then the next time it wouldnt.

Next, I start it up and it runs perfect, but I get a mile away and all my dash lights start flashing, the gauges go nuts and the engine is cutting out. I get it home, and then ALL power completely shut off. Lights, windows, engine, all gone. It was like the battery was disconnected. Then a period later they would just turn back on without reason. I let the car run a few miniutes, then all power disappears again.

A busy week has gone by and I have time to work on the car. It is now warm (70 degrees) and the car is running perfect, every time. Obviously the first thing I checked was battery cables, and the positive was slightly loose. I just replaced the battery a month ago, so that couldnt be the problem, but i figured i'd go to autozone and get the alternator checked just to be safe. They clamp their machine to the car and the alternator was only putting out 22 amps. He did a test at idle, and at 2000 rpms.

The alternator/battery is putting out a steady 13 volts, and I have had no problems since. Does a low amperage mean the alternator is dead, and it is my problem? or was it just a loose battery cable?

thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's charging at idle 13 volts thats fine forget it. Check all of the block grounds and the power cable where it ties into the power distribution centers on the drivers side. Retighten battery cables. Throw that autozone pos battery out and get an optima.