General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

It Died this morning, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It Died this morning, HELP!

hey all, a quick help please...

my car a 1994 Z28 stock everything with 68K miles on it, it's been running all fine except a little shudder/hesitation between 1700/2000 rpm range, but always starts from the first click.

today in the morning i start the car everything is fine, i wait for 2 min. to warm then start to move, i just put on Drive and move for half a meter and it shuts down... i freaked out cause it's the first time ever, i try to start again, the engine revolves but it just wont kick in?!?!?! it's just like as if there's no Gas in the car, i try several times with break time but nothin and there's a gas smell maybe cause i press the gas too much, it just wont start, what could it be?

Fuel pump gone bad, or the OPTI
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

check your spark plugs and wires. maybe loose?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Check fuel pressure, then opticrap.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

you may have a leak somewhere if it's fuel pressure. especially in a car 13 years of age.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Launching!

spark plugs/ wires are new... there's fuel in the car, i tried again before 15 min. and it's still the same, as if there's no fuel reachin in.... what's the symptoms of the opti getting screwed
Old 03-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Launching!

anyone??
Old 03-28-2007, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

well if you've been feeling that shudder you were talking about for a while it could be the opti-spark. They are prone to failure but I feel the finger gets pointed at them too quickly. Can you hear the fuel pump run when you initially turn the key to on? It could possibly be a fuel pressure regulator problem. Not quite sure if those style on the lt1 cars are known to leak externally though. But if it is that could be some of that fuel you smell. Just a guess. You could have a bad coil, although I don't see coils go bad too often. I do know that electronics don't like heat and can act up when hot , but when cold again will work. One of the things with Opti -spark is that some of the early years didn't have vents on them and they corrode inside. Also the caps can go bad. Hope this helps you out some.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

if it is the optispark thingy doodle then check ebay for it. i typed in "lt1 opti" and some stuff came up that wasn't too expensive.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Launching!

i can hear the fuel pump at the ignition, but what leads me to it is that the service engine light is not on, and i believe if the opti is bad it will be on.?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Well I think if you can hear the pump run than it should start.(as long as everything else for combustion is working) If the pump is bad I would think that after the car runs for a little bit,it might shut off then. Maybe since it's not starting at all the light is not coming on because the computer is not getting solid enough input on how the opti is working. Now once the car is running, it may flag a light on after it has recieved enough info on how the opti is working. (I'm not saying the distributor will tell the computer it's bad, but the computer gathers info from all other signals having to do with ignition to come up with a code that may pinpoint a potential problem with whatever may be the weak link in the system)If you have some sort of scanner, and I mean like a Snap-on scanner , not some auto store brand, you should be able to go into the codes and data part of the scanner and see if when you are cranking you're getting a cam sensor reading and a crank sensor reading. At least you'll know those two sensors are working. Once I can think of some more things I'll let you know.