General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Leaking

Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leaking

Hey guys,
I posted on another section (bad idea) about my car beginning to leak oil about a month or two ago. It seems that my car is now leaking oil more so than before. I looked under yesterday to see what the undercarriage and oil pan looked like and saw that the oil pan was wet mainly around the drivers side of the oil pan and where the tranny meets the oil pan (I HOPE NOT!!). My question is, what could fail other than the d*mn rear main seal that would cause this to happen. I only ask that because I pray that it isnt the rear main seal, and why would it be? She's only got 75k on her but I did buy her at 62k. Oil changes are done religiously every 2500-3000 miles with Castrol GTX 5W30 (I don't think it had Mobil1 in it when I bought it).
Anyways, I also found minor sediment from the drivers valve cover near the exhaust manifold but could not find enough that would make it run down the block. Is there a cover near the torque converter that I could remove to look in the converter area to see if there is any oil in there (my friend's 86 Grand National has a convertor cover, but I haven't been under my Z yet to see if it has a similar cover). Any advice regarding this situation is welcome.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the oil filter??????
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the leak you have up by the manifold.....sometimes you wont get alot of oil because it usually only leaks under pressure/load when the cars moving...sitting with it off or at idle wont make it leak from there
Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which manifold are we talkin about? The intake manifold? If so, do I have to remove the intake manifold and replace the gaskets to stop the leaking, or is there a common hose or something that leaks back there?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could just have a bad valve cover gasket

Search this Thread