General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seamfoam Did Nothing For My Car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Talking Seamfoam Did Nothing For My Car!

I am not slamming the product or the process. Simply stating the facts.

Car: 2002 B4C Camaro A4 109K miles, former Po-Po mobile.

I ran it as per the directions found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html

The only thing I did differently was keep the Seafoam in the crankcase for an extra hundred miles or so (350ish total). The oil came out reasonably clean, not as "black as Satan's heart" as I read once upon a time. The engine did very little of a smoke show when run through the brake booster vacuum line. As for the full can that went into the gas tank? Who knows…

I have a feeling the car was reasonably well maintained in its life. Or had been "Seafoamed" prior to my ownership as the clamp to the vacuum line was off of the check valve at the brake booster before I got to it.

Now before everyone gets hyper-reactionary/hyper-sensitive to this (which seems to be the trend around here) I have used GM's Top Engine Cleaner/CLEENS in the past with fantastic results on my Turbo Buick (as well as others).

I feel this is a worthwhile procedure to any used/high mileage car of unknown origins/maintenance.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a little disappointed with the smoke myself, and didn't notice much of a difference either. One thing I did make note of is that the hose clamp was already slid down on the vacuum hose coming off of the brake booster, which says to me that some type of topend cleaning had been performed in the past. The oil was also relatively clean when I bought it. It had 94k when I bought it, so it seems like if it had not been done before or the oil wasn't changed very regularly that it would have been darker. Who knows, maybe my 98 car had one of the bad oil pumps and it went out and I got a new motor at some point
Old 04-07-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If you didn't get a lot of smoke or thunder after seafoaming your engine, it simply means that you, or whoever had the car before you, took good care of it and there is little crap to burn out of the motor. Using good oil, regular maintenance, etc. Be happy.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

indeed. people are crazy to Be wanting Lots of smoke lol. that just means your car was not maintained well. my car didnt smoke much at all. and im glad. though it didnt smoke much. i instantly have gotten a smoother idle.

my oil was also not very Dirty.

I would say if the clips to your brake boost hose were gone or moved ect probly a good indication it was seafoamed.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine didn't nearly smoke as much compared to other threads I have read. The main thing that I noticed was that my gas mileage increased majorly after I seafoamed the car.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

everytime i do mine i wait 30mins - 1 hour and it smokes bad. 10-15mins isnt enough
Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

can you seafoam a boosted car, particularly an STS?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
can you seafoam a boosted car, particularly an STS?
I wouldn't see why not as long as you keep it out of boost and in vacuum .
Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just did mine this weekend on my daily driver 117k miles z28. When I put the half can of seafoam into the crank case (when it was cold) then started it up, it started smoking a little from the engine. When I put the other half in through the brake booster line, it didn't smoke at all. I took it for a run after I waited about 25 minutes and the smoke show wasn't all that much. Maybe lasted a couple hundred feet or so after I got it above 3k rpm. I haven't seen any improvements mainly because I haven't driven it more than 5 miles since the seafoam treatment. I'm waiting for Thursday and Friday to drive it some more. Then I'll be doing to oil change myself over the weekend.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

its a good thing that u didnt get much smoke...however next time i do mine im gonna leave it in there for about 30min next time...i might have left mine in there 10
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine didnt smoke ****....in fact after brake booster i took it out and like a little tiny puff of smoke came out....oil has been changed (not black at all) and my engine actually feels worse than it did before the seafoam.....

i had 66k on the engine...but whatever as long as it still runs u know?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine barely smoked at all at idle. But after I let it sit and took it for its "Spirited" drive it smoked quite a bit.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my '96 smoked like crazy for about 3-4 minutes then settled down. Took it out for a spirited drive and the thing ran like it was new. i had a GREAT experience from it. But mine did a lot of city idling from the previous owner and i'm sure that contributed to the dirty engine.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

ive tried seaform and i seems to work ok but the Gm top engine cleaner works great for cleaning injectors
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qwkta98
ive tried seaform and i seems to work ok but the Gm top engine cleaner works great for cleaning injectors
where can you buy that GM top end cleaner? I was actually considering seafoming my car soon.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine smoked as i was pouring it in, but after i was done it didn't smoke the slightest bit. i guess mine was clean to begin with, but then again... i have no idea.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Launching!

I was wanting all this smoke...to make me feel like it worked.Up until the drive there was nothin.Once I got on it,i destroyed the road behind me with smoke.Lasted about 6-7 minutes.One light i stopped at,it started smokin from the exhaust.People mustve thought my car was messed up.
It seemed to wake it up a bit and smooth it out.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly got a hell of a smoke show. I know that before I got my car it was sitting for about a year. I did at least 2 oil changes before doing the seafoam. After it I went 150 miles on the seafoam/ oil mix and it came out like cocacole (no exhageration). I can't say that I feel a huge difference on my car, but it sure is good to know all of that black is out of the engine.
... I forgot to ad, I had a filthy set of carbs from a bike that was sitting for years. Fuel would not flow into them and I couldn't blow into the fuel line to force fuel into the pistons, so I let to seafoam sit in it for a day. That was all it took, cleaned the carbs right up. (I took one apart to make sure).