General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New BOSCH 13111's and I get p0133 and p0153 and idle surging WTF

Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New BOSCH 13111's and I get p0133 and p0153 and idle surging WTF

I just put in the new BOSH's and now I'm getting idle surging and the two dtc's p0133 and p0153. There was only one o2 that was bad but I just replaced both of them with new BOSCH's. I hooked it up to a snapon scanner and they were reading 13 and 9. I dont know wtf it means but I am assuming that is low because the other two rears which are simulators were in the 2 and 3 hundreds.

Is it possible that the 98 computer has no respect for the BOSCH's? It is highly unlikely that two brand new sensors are no good. I just put the new intake on and havent driven very much with the old o2's in. Is my computer retarded or are these things not any good?

When I start it up it goes up to between 1500 and 2000 rpms and goes back down and starts surging from 1100 down to 800. It was not doing this with the old o2's for the short time that they were in. I d k w t f is happening I just seen that cell phone commercial again. Is there some sort of relearn process that will throw a code that I'm not aware of? It just seems that if its not one thing its another. I checked for leaks and I couldnt find any. I thought for sure that it would have been leaking from some where with the surging, but once again, it wasn't doing that before the switch. Should I try and return these for stock ones and get extensions? These were noticably smaller than the stockers.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

have a vacuum leak or need a tune
Old 04-17-2007, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Im guessing its a tune then, because it was not doing the surging before I put in the new o2's. The need of a tune would throw a code? All I did was put on a new manifold, the o2s should be able to compensate for the extra air coming in, its not like I threw in a cam.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same 2 codes as you a couple weeks ago. They would come back here and there after I would delete them. I got rid of my ORY and went with cats and all is well now. I think it doesnt have enough back pressure with a free flowing exhaust and wont heat the O2's up. When I installed the cats the codes went away on their own after a few driving cycles. Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

These two codes are for the front o2s bank 1 and 2 sensor 1 slow response. I have tsp duals on now. I deleted the codes and they havent come back on yet after about 30 miles. I have simulators on the rear so thats not an issue either. Maybe there is a coating on the o2s and it has to be burnt off? The surging has lessened, so maybe it just needs to learn. Im going to drive it to work and see how that goes its a total of 40 miles so it should come back if it is going to. I threw a stock MAF sensor on their too that Ive been meaning to do for some time.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

still need a tune....are you're headers coated ?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

yea, I guess I'm gonna switch back to stockers and get some extensions, anyone wanna buy some BOSCH 13111's?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

pull the sensors out and look for the 3 slots on the sensor itself, take a small flat screwdriver and pry them open slightly to allow more airflow to the sensing element...that should fix your problem
Old 04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
yea, I guess I'm gonna switch back to stockers and get some extensions, anyone wanna buy some BOSCH 13111's?
How much?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

If your selling them I'm also interested. send me a pm
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Stanknuglet
I had the same 2 codes as you a couple weeks ago. They would come back here and there after I would delete them. I got rid of my ORY and went with cats and all is well now. I think it doesnt have enough back pressure with a free flowing exhaust and wont heat the O2's up. When I installed the cats the codes went away on their own after a few driving cycles. Hope this helps.
this hits close to home. my friend's brother has a shop. he does all kinds of car work, from fluid changes to custom exhaust to H/C swaps to FI. he worked on a camaro and put headers on it and an ORY. the car ran like absolute ****, surging, backfiring, you name it. he put cats on it and it ran like a new car. ever since then, my friend swears f-bodies run better with cats. throwing on cats just may fix your problem. it'll sound and smell better, too.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

So I replaced the Bosch's with oem Bosch's. These things look exactly the same except the length of the wire. I drove it around the block for 5 mins or so and come back and all is good. There was no surging and the idle was solid. I let it sit for 2 hours or so, go for a short drive and the ses light comes on and the idle is all over the place. I'm thinking these Bosch's are the same thing except the wire is different.

The o2 element i guess its called is a bit shorter than the stocker I took out. Does anyone have the part number to the one's that have a longer element or what ever its called. This is just rediculous. Im thinking that they are not getting hot enough because they are too short. The bung is rather large on the header and it cannot stick very far into the header.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New BOSCH 13111's and I get p0133 and p0153 and idle surging WTF