General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking power steering, hard to fix? PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Leaking power steering, hard to fix? PICS

Well after my two hour fun changing DRL lens I noticed a wet spot on my power steering. It's the part where the lines from the pump go down to a bar that is right above the skid plate. The one line is leaking and possible another as well, over by the driver side tire. Can I just loosen the nut on the lines and replace a seal?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _JB_
Well after my two hour fun changing DRL lens I noticed a wet spot on my power steering. It's the part where the lines from the pump go down to a bar that is right above the skid plate. The one line is leaking and possible another as well, over by the driver side tire. Can I just loosen the nut on the lines and replace a seal?

mines the same way but the only place I really lose fluid is my res capp and i got a new cap and such but it still seeps out of the top of it...
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car goes in to the dealer for that exact problem you have with the stearing rack leak. They are installing a brand new rack under my extended warranty. I figured they would just replace the line.........nope......the rack?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys. Anyone else?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, that definitely looks like the rack itself.

Mine had the same leak but after I put in some Lucas power steering sealer it stopped.

I know people always badmouth "insta-fix" products like that, but I've seen really great results from the power steering stuff; and not just on my car either.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Yeah, that definitely looks like the rack itself.

Mine had the same leak but after I put in some Lucas power steering sealer it stopped.

I know people always badmouth "insta-fix" products like that, but I've seen really great results from the power steering stuff; and not just on my car either.
I might as well give that stuff a try, can't make it any worse.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Brown
My car goes in to the dealer for that exact problem you have with the stearing rack leak. They are installing a brand new rack under my extended warranty. I figured they would just replace the line.........nope......the rack?
Wow if yours was just seeping like the one pictured you must have a good dealer. Mine has looked this way since they day I bought it new with 22 miles on it(not as much dirt buildup then). Took to two different dealers and got it in writing both times per GM the only leak that is covered under warranty if it is physically dripping. My boss had and 05 Caddy that the oil pan gasket was seeping on and he said the Caddy dealer told him the same thig as well. Mine is still seeping and looks like crap but it is not low on fluild and I have never added any to it.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem. How long did it take to use that insta fix stuff for the leak?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Thats not a leak, thats seepage. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts dripping on the ground in your garage or where you park. Maybe thats just me tho?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Mine drips and i have to refill my power steering fuild probably about once a month.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alw041
Mine drips and i have to refill my power steering fuild probably about once a month.
I used the lucas stuff in my old ranger before and i worked fairly good. I was adding fluid every three to four weeks then after Lucas at least 3 months before adding fluid. The ranger was leaking around the shaft seal. In my opinion that any kind a addative is just putting a temporary bandaid on the problem. I did it in my Ranger cause it had 200,000 miles on it and was not going to vest any more money into it due that I knew I would be trading it in on a new truck anyway.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

With that Lucas Sealer stuff do you still have to take off the unit and put it on? I assume so.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I just took my 99 to the shop and had them look at my power steering. It was making a whinning sound and loosing fluid. I had some seepage going on as well. Turns out, there was water in the steering fluid and steering fluid in the radiator hoses. Now I have to replace every hose. I'm not sure if you guys lnow how much those freaking hoses are but try close to $400. On heater hose is $150. This is the car that has the stupid power steering cooler in one of the hoses, which is now being bypassed. Sorry, I just needed to vent about my power steering issue
Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

That sucks, mine doesn't make any noise...yet.