General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Everyone needs to read this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Everyone needs to read this!!!

*gets on soapbox*

LS1Tech has this section for everyone to help each other out for problems and issues we might be having. I find it exceedingly frustrating that many post here expecting prompt help (and getting it), but not having the decency to make a post stating what the solution to their problem was. This is lame, and shows no thanks to the help received.

What pushed me over the edge to start this thread was... I'm having an issue with my car. I do the polite thing and do a search. After searching through numerous threads started by others who have had the same issue, I find very ******* few have actually had the common courtesy to make a simple ******* post stating what fixed the issue. So here I am looking at 6 pages of practically useless threads talking about the same issue I'm having. This is inconsiderate and I don't think it is acceptable behavior within a community.

I guess my point is... if you make a post wanting help, you are expected to make a 30 second reply stating what was the fix. Its not asking too much.

*gets off soapbox to drown frustrations with a bottle of Jim Beam*
Old 04-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Launching!

True that. Good point man.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I completely agree with what you said.
Having said that,whats wrong with your car?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

But if every problem and every FIX was easy to find using the search function, this website would slowly die off because there would be so much less threads/posts asking for help.

Just kidding, I agree totally.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:19 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgriffin
*gets on soapbox*

I guess my point is... if you make a post wanting help, you are expected to make a 30 second reply stating what was the fix. Its not asking too much.

*gets off soapbox to drown frustrations with a bottle of Jim Beam*
Totally agree and have even gone soo far as to actually thank those few individuals that have had the courtesy to post thier solutions to thier problems..

Like you said "Its not asking too much"...and I will add that it is TOTALLY FREE!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Launching!

agreed..... i vote sticky
Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Good point and really is commom a courtesy!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I agree
Old 04-26-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

my brothas
Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Dang, where do you live? I would like to come over and discuss this with you and Jim.
A very valid point, BTW. Even though the Search function does go down frequently, it is quite frustrating to see the same question asked over, and over, and over. Probably my favorite is "what gear does my car have?".
Old 04-26-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I wonder if it would help to have a sticky in each section, with links to all the common questions for each section.
Examples:
Do I need subframe connectors, if so, what brand?
A4 or M6?
What gear should I run for my app?
What is the best/stickiest tire for my app?
What suspension changes should I make for my app? This actually exists, but seems to be ignored for some reason.
What rear end should I get, and what brand?
What does this SES code mean?
etc., etc.

You get my drift, I hope.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well for all you lot that are quick to shout "TRY A SEARCH" ... a search often yields very poor results for both user specific details and common solutions, as was originally posted, many people lack the courtesy to say what cured the ailment...

it's somewhat like me having a toothache and going to a dentist, then not going in for a followup to say thanks and to make sure the proper thing was done and will last.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Good post.

Don't be afraid to shoot a PM to the persons that were having the same problem though. I've done that before and the person was more than happy to help me out.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I wonder if it would help to have a sticky in each section, with links to all the common questions for each section.
Examples:
Do I need subframe connectors, if so, what brand?
A4 or M6?
What gear should I run for my app?
What is the best/stickiest tire for my app?
What suspension changes should I make for my app? This actually exists, but seems to be ignored for some reason.
What rear end should I get, and what brand?
What does this SES code mean?
etc., etc.

You get my drift, I hope.
Even better is

What are the best headers

What gears 4.11 or 3.73's

What's the best catback

These are just a few that really get under my skin. These are all easily found in a serch. I really hate when they ask these questions and then don't give any info on the purpose of the car such as daily driver, weekend warrior or all out race car.

But back on topic I agree if you find a fix for the problem you should post it up.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

how about everyone list their phone numbers in their sig so that anyone can call you with problems...
Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
well for all you lot that are quick to shout "TRY A SEARCH" ... a search often yields very poor results for both user specific details and common solutions, as was originally posted, many people lack the courtesy to say what cured the ailment...
it's somewhat like me having a toothache and going to a dentist, then not going in for a followup to say thanks and to make sure the proper thing was done and will last.
First, please understand that we are not sitting in your garage or in your car. Most of the answers are paths to follow, they are not the do all, end all, always correct solutions. One would expect someone who has the guts to own (and most likely work on) an fbody also has the gumption to follow the various paths suggested to find the solution to their own problem.
Second, the solution should be posted if it is a "what do you think this is?" question. This falls on the shoulders of the thread starter, not those who pose possible solutions. That was the original point of this thread, and is a valid point.
Personally, I don't know if I ever did the "Try a Search!" thing, but I do know the frustration of answering the same question over, and over, and over again. In an ideal world, the question would be asked once, answered once, and we could move on to the next issue. But apparently that is not to be.
Peace.