General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power window problem, cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window problem, cause?

got in my car today and the driver's side window would only go down part of the way. i would drive for a couple minutes and it would work for just a couple seconds. the cycle continued and i'm wondering wat's wrong?? any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your window motor is toast..do a search on how to fix it yourself or pay big bucks to have it done..It's a common problem with the f-body
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've learned that there is a hugely common problem with the thermal coupling.
The thermal coupling is an electric resistive device that stops power to the motor when it (the coupling) becomes hot.
Bottom line, they are weak. I'll bet that the motor itself is good but the coupling is burnt. You can do some research and see the argument behind the risk of a bypass. My personal opinion is to see if you can take a look at a car that you know has this mod, instead of taking peoples word for it.

Also, make sure you use the auotrix kit wether or not you go with a whole new motor.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

My ss did that.. it was covered under warranty thank goodness.

but I try not to use my windows.. i do a/c unless it's perfect out.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

shbox.som has a very good writeup. just look under how-to's and R&R power windows
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any news? I've done the thermal coupling bypass on my car since this thread and it works great. It also works just like it should, stops itself on the auto down feature, stops when going up (all the way). I also tested it on my hand (mutilation test) and it does not have the torque to do much more than make you yelp. Let me know if you're interested in that, I'll be more than happy to help.
Either way give us an update, see whats up.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
Any news? I've done the thermal coupling bypass on my car since this thread and it works great. It also works just like it should, stops itself on the auto down feature, stops when going up (all the way). I also tested it on my hand (mutilation test) and it does not have the torque to do much more than make you yelp. Let me know if you're interested in that, I'll be more than happy to help.
Either way give us an update, see whats up.

You have a link to that or any links that would help me trouble shoot my window problem. They both go up and down slow. If it gets really hot out or really cold, or rains a lot the windows go about 1-2 inches at a time then stop. I have to wait a min. or so then they will go another inch or so. I have to dothis 5-7 times to get the windows up all theway. On normal average days they work fine (still slow though) It is the same on both sides.

TIA
Old 05-18-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.fastlsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14445

Basically a link to an old post with a bunch of other links.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just swapped my passenger side window motor yesterday, 53 bucks at AZ and your set. Use the shoebox guide its really easy, once you get that old motor out the new one can only go in one way so keep sticking that motor in tryin to get the teeth lined up till you feel it stick. If you have it right then you should be able to let it go an it will stay in. Just do it man save yourself big bucks an do it yourself.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Hoo-ray for working windows....check us out!