General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Key turns without stops, no start or power

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key turns without stops, no start or power

Got a weird problem, just happened out of nowhere. Put the key in the ignition and it turns from lock all the way to the start position without any resistance, no clicks from the acc/on/start checkpoints. I took the left cover off and I can see the gears/brackets moving as I turn the key, but I have no start or on.

Security light stays on and the CD display time stays on after I close the door and lock the car. Im thinking its the ignition switch or the key lock? Anybody have this type of problem?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The actuator in the top part of the column broke they sometimes call it an ignition rack. It takes some special tools to do this you will probably want to take it to a dealer or a competent shop. You need a pivot pin puller and an airbag style lockplate compressor. Lastly you need experience with these columns or to be very careful when you take it apart bc there are a bunch of small parts and they all have to go back correctly to get everything to work. It is possible the ignition switch broke but doubtful. You can check the switch by dropping the column and moving the key to see if the actuator rod for the ign switch moves.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, its off to the dealership now so I'll report back when I find out what the problem is.