General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

smokin a little...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smokin a little...

Ok guys so here is my problem. Recently, my car started smoking under a heavy full throttle pull (but only when at high revs). You cant see it really, but you can smell it in the car, its pretty strong. However, once you get off the throttle and let it coast down (from high revs) you can see a pretty good size cloud of oil smoke pouring out the exhaust. Now, the car runs awesome, has put down well over 400hp in its current condition. I pulled the plugs and they all look great.

So I started to diagnose the problem, I have 0 leaks...no oil visible anywhere on the outside of the engine/trans. I checked the PCV line, seemed pretty dry from what I can tell.

Is this a bad oil ring somewhere or a bad valve seal? The engine has 80,000 on it and the heads have less than 2k...they were assembled by TSP (ported LS6's).

How can I figure this out...I have a new shortblock coming from LME anyway, so if its an oil ring issue then this will be fixed next week. BUT I dont want to bolt these heads on if there is the possibility of a bad seal somewhere.

Ohh, also, I had never noticed it smoke on start up until today...it only did it for a few seconds though...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Nobody?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about the PCV line: you can't really go by what the inside of the PCV line looks like. I put a catch can in my PCV line, and when I took the line off the inside of it looked pretty dry. But I did the catch can anyway, and sure enough it traps quite a bit of oil. I doubt this is what's causing your problem though, sounds like it started suddenly and it's burning quite a bit.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, it started very sudden...not sure what caused it. The really weird thing is that the oil level of the engine has not dropped at all...not one bit since this started. I have no idea whats going on with it.

I think I will go ahead and replace the valve seals when the new engine goes in and install a catch can as well. I cant figure out how to isolate the problem or the cylinder that it is occuring in...
Old 04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing, I decided to look at some of my spark plus today just to see what kind of shape they were in. I pulled all four driver's side plugs. Number one was pretty caked up with ash, which my manual says could caused by bad valve guides/seals. Might be worth taking a look at your plugs too if you haven't already. I wonder why it would just be on one cylinder? 3, 5 and 7 had a little ash but not as much as number 1. Also the number one plug was a different brand than the other three, I'm thinking maybe someone had been avoiding the problem for a while. Previous owners...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

How's your brake fluid level?