General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Pan Gskt Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gskt Help.

I had noticed that I was driping oil from the gasket oil pan meats the bottom of the block and saw that it starts dripping after the second bolt from front the front of the pan to the back. It looks its like the oil pan gskt .Well read a few threads and saw one that said you can do it without using a engine hoise. Any heres the questions that i have

1. will it be ok to hold the engine up by putting a jack stand with a block of wood on the crank pulley? Any down sides to this

2. do i need to unbolt completely the k member, i have a bmr tubuler k member?

by the way im trying to do this w/o taking of the tranny nor removing the engine completely. if you have done this or know a better way please let me know thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

I am not sure about the u bolting of the K member. However i would be very careful about lifting / supporting the motor just on the crank pulley. Some one else might know more about this. I would look for another way. That is just me
Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skifast87
I am not sure about the u bolting of the K member. However i would be very careful about lifting / supporting the motor just on the crank pulley. Some one else might know more about this. I would look for another way. That is just me

thats the same thing i thought but ive hard it from two different people just does seem completely right to me???

the thing is shop quoted me like $300 and Ive done everything on the car but If i do it with a cherry picker I need to borrow one then i need a truck so alot of **** to get the stuff required if i do it with a lift thats why i wnt to try it the other way first.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

The dealer just replaced my oil pan gasket under extended warranty......they supported the motor from the top with a special tool that extended between the top of each inner fender. Then the K member was unbolted which dropped a few inches to allow the pan to be removed. The steering rack was unbolted as well and allowed to hang freely.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

good luck
Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J. Brown
The dealer just replaced my oil pan gasket under extended warranty......they supported the motor from the top with a special tool that extended between the top of each inner fender. Then the K member was unbolted which dropped a few inches to allow the pan to be removed. The steering rack was unbolted as well and allowed to hang freely.

ifonly i had an engine hoist (cherry picker) it woudl be no prob but i dont aggrr..