General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

trouble starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starts

I'm not in a hurry to get a new battery, but I think it may be the problem. My car has had trouble starting after sitting for about a week for awhile now. A slow crank and 400-500rpm start, i usually just gas it to 3k right after it starts and its good though. The car is about 15years old and on its 2nd battery, do I need a third? Now it seems from Fri night to Mon morning it is having the same troublestarting. How do I check out the battery or alternator etc. I have volt testers and etc laying around my house. It's fine for a day or 2, seems to have the same trouble staring for 1 week or 2. Anyone with any experience or suggests any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

If you remove your battery you can take to most auto parts chains and have them charge and test it on a pro tester for free. Tell them you want it tested in front of you after it's been charged(30-45min). I know, I've worked for autozone and pep boys. If the test results are anything, but 'good battery' have it replaced. even if it says 'good, low charge' replace it. Once we know we have a healthy heart we can start to diagnose any other charging/starting problems that may exist. And yes you can take the car and have the battery tested in the vehicle, but there is no substitute for a bench test on a fully charged battery. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Thank you, I don't know when I'll get the time, so i guess it can wait for a week or two