General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

O2's got wet. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2's got wet. What to do?

My O2 sensors got soaked today in the rain and the car has been running funny intermitently since then with SES light coming on every now and then, even flashing sometimes. What should I do? Just wait for them to dry out or replace them?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Did you leave the hood up?
Degrease your engine or something?
Bad O2's shouldn't cause misfires(flashing MIL).
Please give more details about how and when this started to happen.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

A propane torch should help out with the drying but you shouldn't heat them up too much and damage them. How many miles do you have since you reinstalled them? It shouldn't take long with them installed to dry.

Try to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Do this a second time if the SES light comes back on and if that doesn't fix it you'll need some new O2's. Make sure the electrical connections check out too before you pitch them.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

here's a link to the original thread describing my problem:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/706109-sportline-springs-rain-wet-tranny.html

i will try resetting the battery tomorrow to see if that fixes it. one of the O2s is a new bosch and the other is just the factory O2 with an extension (i've got an x-pipe with duals). The car ran fine tonite but started to bog down again when i got home. the guys at my shop were like yeah it's just wet O2s let 'em dry. they said sometimes it takes a long time? what?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

i knew there was nothing wrong with my motor and tranny when i realized my gas mileage was dropping. that's an O2 problem, right? i mean, my tranny was still shifting fine, i had all my gears, torque converter was locking up fine, and my motor was good via the gauges, as usual. there was no idle surge or anything, the car just ran real rough intermittently. i'm going to try resetting the battery tomorrow and see what comes of it. or maybe the car will just run fine?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like water everywhere in your coils possibly giving you that miss. Don't reset anything!!!!!!!!!!! Pull codes first please even if your MIL is off it may still have stored codes.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

won't the coils dry off though? or is it a little more complicated than that? what damages are we talking about here? anything serious?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kaos_
won't the coils dry off though? or is it a little more complicated than that? what damages are we talking about here? anything serious?
Water will not severly damage anything unless your engine takes a big gulp of it or it splashes on hot metal causing it to warp or crack.
If it got on your electrical components this could be an issue as far as corrosion and the like nothing serious. Water in or on high voltage items like coils and wires is always a problem (i.e. arcing, shorting) and 'NO' water CAN stay trapped in things like weather-pak connectors and spark plug wire boots for a long time especially in cooler 'RAINY' climates. Which is why I recomend you try and pull codes. I know the answer lies somewhere in your PCM's memory.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

seems like maybe some spark plugs got fried? i mean, if they're hot, and water touches them while they're working that could certainly cause 'em to go out?

i'll get the car scanned first thing in the morn.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

O2 bank 1 was dead. replaced it with a new bosch and everything is well again. w00t
Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Never underestimate the power of the scan tool.
Good thing it worked out.