General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blew my LS1 UP - NEED ADVICE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew my LS1 UP - NEED ADVICE!!!

Well I've probably just had the worst couple of days in my entire life. My car has never leaked or burnt oil, I check it frequently, and I also do regular maintenence. Just gearing up for some summer fun and now my motor is shot. Haven't begun tearing it down yet but we are thinking it's a rod due to the particular knocking. It's still not leaking oil or smoking just the knock in the engine. Now I have to look at all my alternatives and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Our mechanic is a good friend, not just some guy in a dealership, is thinking that for a complete replacement it would run about $5500 and for a re-build around $3500. I paid $8,800 and haven't even had the car a year, and it only has 74,xxx miles on it. All the interior is good, brand new tires less than 500 miles on them, and some of the mods in my sig. Problem is it doesn't have cats, no egr, and air so I'm not sure about my selling options. Plus I'm not sure what I could even get for it, considering someone could probably do a re-build much cheaper than what we would pay for one.

Basically options are have it fixed for $3500, or $5500, or pay it off I owe about 7,000 on it right now. I'm not sure what the car is worth since the motor has a knock, but it seems almost more cost-efficent just to sell it, pay off what's left and start from scratch or drive a beater until the new camaro's are out. I'm 19 years old and trying to save up enough money to go to college so it's not like I have money coming out of my ears and I pay for everything myself with no help from my family so... I've also considering buying another car and just paying two car-payments until I can figure something out, I'm sure I can get something for less than 200 bucks a month add the $180 Camaro on and it's a $400 car payment which I could do.

Let me know what you guys would do in my situation, feel free to ask as many questions as u need and thanks in advance for the help!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy a used bottom end, install that and call it a day. You could probably find an LS1 shortblock on here for around $1,000 (go to the parts section and type in "shortblock" for search). People get rid of them all the time because they upgrade to forged blocks and more cubes. From there you'd just have to pay him the labor to install it. You can pull the engine out the bottom in a matter of hours, and from there it would be pretty simple to swap blocks and button it back up.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Get a good used LS1 shortblock

Get a good LS1 shortblock. They are available from guys who want 402/408's.

Even some of the sponser shops have ones from swaps. Shop around.

Bob K.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Get a good used LS1 shortblock

Get a good LS1 shortblock. They are available from guys who swapped to 402/408's.

Even some of the sponser shops have ones from swaps. Shop around.

Bob K.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think LME will sell you a 347 for like 3500, Ive seen forged 347 shortblocks sell in the parts forum for around 2500
Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

What exactly did you do for it to start knocking? Major burnout? A bit of racing? Did it break at the track?

Just curious...you paint a pretty grim picture but never say what caused your well maintained car to take a dump.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go get another motor...and use this as a learning experience...rip it apart and learn from it
Old 05-05-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by staringback05
go get another motor...and use this as a learning experience...rip it apart and learn from it

You will learn a great deal by tearing that **** down.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skifast87

You will learn a great deal by tearing that **** down.
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't doing anything when it broke down, I was just driving normally to work when it began to knock, and I really do maintain the car very well I've never had a problem with it burning or leaking oil and it's never been low or anything. I've only raced in on the track once and that was nearly a year ago I probably take it to redline once a month if that just to make sure it's running properly.

But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do, I would never have the time to take it apart working and going to school, or the money to have it fixed so I will probably just sell it and cut my losses, drive a beater until I can save up enough to get another LS1.

Kinda a sad story I know, but I don't have 3-4k just lying around and I would much rather sell it and cut my losses than let it sit here not running.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get a forged internal shortblock from one of the sponsors. Not only would that fix it but it would be better than before and make the car worth more to the right person if you decide to sell it later. Check out http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...mid=42&catid=3 If you don't have the money for that then check into getting a shortblock from a member that is wanting up upgrade theirs. Lots of people...like me, want to upgrade their shortblock to a forged internal one so that they can run more boost, nitrous, ect. Like the guys above me said you can probably pick up a good shortblock from a member for a 1000$ or so.

I would think the car would be worth a lot more fixed than trying to sell it with the blown engine. If you don't want to fix it send me a PM and let me know how much you want for it the way it is.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think we would all like you to post a video of you starting up the car so we can hear the knock. if you feel comfortable starting the car, i can speak for everyone here when i say we'd love to hear the noise you're talking about.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also go with a truck shortblock, I have heard of people picking up the truck LSx motors 4.8L`s especially for a couple hundred bucks. Swap all your external parts on and you could get it back together really cheap. You should be able to do it in a weekend with a couple friends helping.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my friend bought a used 6.0 shortblock from the dealer for $400
Old 05-06-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice but I'm really thinking I need to sell it as It's hard for me to come up with much money up front no matter, and I can't just sit here without my car without going crazy so I need to get rid of it although I'm still losing way more than what I'm getting for it. I will see if I can get a video and post up so you guys can hear it.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Renegade
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't doing anything when it broke down, I was just driving normally to work when it began to knock, and I really do maintain the car very well I've never had a problem with it burning or leaking oil and it's never been low or anything. I've only raced in on the track once and that was nearly a year ago I probably take it to redline once a month if that just to make sure it's running properly.

But I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do, I would never have the time to take it apart working and going to school, or the money to have it fixed so I will probably just sell it and cut my losses, drive a beater until I can save up enough to get another LS1.

Kinda a sad story I know, but I don't have 3-4k just lying around and I would much rather sell it and cut my losses than let it sit here not running.

I hear yea man about the money and the school.