General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls1 = Corvete Engine???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 = Corvette Engine???

Ok I got a question and any comments are welcomed
Last week I took my 2000 Z28 81,000 miles on it to the the to get the REAR MAIN SEAL REPLACED, thanks to all the info I got from ls1tech, ok so I got an estimate of $420 to replace the REAR MAIN SEAL which I think is about right here in Texas and the mechanic said it wold be a six hour job and they wold call me when it was ready. Ok so I handed him the keys, this was last saturday 10:30am.
Monday no calls so I called them and it was not ready, same thing on Tueasday finaly on wednsday i called them a litttle upset cause I had to go to work 30 miles away , I took two days off so they could finish the six hour job.
they said come by 12:00 and if its not ready they wold give me something to drive to work, I get there they hand me the BILL $732.20
this i where I need help: this is just for the labor
R&R REAR MAIN SEAL $319.00 (5.8 hrs), R&R REAR TRANSMISION SEAL $22.00 (.4 hrs)
R&R CAM SENSOR $269.50 (4.9hrs),
parts :$115.20
mechanic said that they took that long because they could not find the leak and when they found where it was ( R&R CAM SENSOR) they went ahead and replaced it. (didn't call me to OK it) THE MACHANIC SAID " THIS CAMARO HAS A CORVETTE ENGINE, IF IT WAS A REGULAR CAMARO IT WOLD HAVE BEEN MUCH EASIER AND CHEAPER TO CHANGE AN REPLACE THE PARTS"
Well I've been goint to that shop for years (they have surveilance cameras, nice shop) this is the first time with the camaro.
camaro still at the shop, I have to pay in full to get it out
DO YALL THINK i GOT RAPED ? or is this about right?
I guess i'm like most members here i do my own mechanic work, simple stuff like spark plugs, oil change, etc. For major work I take it to the mechanic
any help, comments welcomed.http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/DSC00056.jpg

Last edited by quickchrome2000; 05-09-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well yes.. most C5 corvettes have LS1's with slight differences. But to use that as an excuse is crap.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

i work for a auto shop and we would not replace anything without customer authorization-regardless of what the problem was, if u didnt authorize it the repair then they just did all that work for free.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

You got hosed bigger than ****.

If they give you an estimate they have to stick to it. If they find other unseen issues, they must inform you of the add on repair and you must approve of it prior to them fixing it
Old 05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwkta98
i work for a auto shop and we would not replace anything without customer authorization-regardless of what the problem was, if u didnt authorize it the repair then they just did all that work for free.
Yep, dont pay what their asking..
Old 05-05-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

I would tell them to rectify the problem and change the price to the original estimate. They gave you an estimate of the repair. I am not sure if the car was in person for them to verify everything, but still if they knew they quoted you for a 6 cylinder, the moment they opened that hood, they should be giving you a new accurate estimate for a v8 and calling you. They sure shouldn't be just doing the work and then charging you. They fvcked up plain and simple. people like them is what makes my job hard because they portray dishonesty in this field.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Tell them to "reconsider" that price since they were supposed to call you. If been polite doesn't work tell them you will tear a new one that no seal will be able to repair.....
Old 05-05-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah they cant do that if they screw up parts nost likely why you have a new cam sensor they have to eat it dude you dont have to stan for that also if they wanna play hardball you can always contact the b.b.b. that will get um
Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am a tech at a ford dealership and I see this happen pretty often. More than likey the tech noticed the problem and notified his service advisor. The service advisor said to himself "well this person has been comming here for years, nice car, he will want to fix whatever is wrong with it". So the service advisor authorized the tech to repair the problem. 200-300$ doesn't seem like much to someone working at a dealership doing jobs that go from 1000-5000$ pretty often.

The shop I work at charges 75$ an hour. Shops in larger citys charge 100$ or more. You listed 11 hours worth of work. Thats 825$ labor at 75$ an hour + 115$ worth of parts. Sounds to me like you got a fair deal. Most shops would have tacked on another 1 hour diag fee for it taking so long to find the problem.

Just because you bring your car in for work doesn't mean they are going to get to your car right away. They may already have the lift tied up with another vehicle. It sounds like they would have given you a car to drive while they fixed yours if you would have asked when you dropped yours off. Its usually not a good idea to bring your car into a dealership at the end of the weak for any kind of major work.

Legally you can probably screw them over and only pay for what they quoted you in the beginning. I think you would be a dick if you held them to the estimate when they were just trying to fix the problem and get your car out asap. Yes, I agree that they took a little long to repair the car but more than likely the tech was busy working on something else at the time and didn't even look at your car till Monday.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you tell them that using their logic, every non v6 Camaro has a Vette engine?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

burn it to the ground. yeah im pretty sure there is some law about repairs having to be within some % of what they give you as an estiamate.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
burn it to the ground
Have you ever seen a portal?

Old 05-05-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
I am a tech at a ford dealership and I see this happen pretty often. More than likey the tech noticed the problem and notified his service advisor. The service advisor said to himself "well this person has been comming here for years, nice car, he will want to fix whatever is wrong with it". So the service advisor authorized the tech to repair the problem. 200-300$ doesn't seem like much to someone working at a dealership doing jobs that go from 1000-5000$ pretty often.

The shop I work at charges 75$ an hour. Shops in larger citys charge 100$ or more. You listed 11 hours worth of work. Thats 825$ labor at 75$ an hour + 115$ worth of parts. Sounds to me like you got a fair deal. Most shops would have tacked on another 1 hour diag fee for it taking so long to find the problem.

Just because you bring your car in for work doesn't mean they are going to get to your car right away. They may already have the lift tied up with another vehicle. It sounds like they would have given you a car to drive while they fixed yours if you would have asked when you dropped yours off. Its usually not a good idea to bring your car into a dealership at the end of the weak for any kind of major work.

Legally you can probably screw them over and only pay for what they quoted you in the beginning. I think you would be a dick if you held them to the estimate when they were just trying to fix the problem and get your car out asap. Yes, I agree that they took a little long to repair the car but more than likely the tech was busy working on something else at the time and didn't even look at your car till Monday.
negged for stupidity
Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only pay the original estimate.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Just because you bring your car in for work doesn't mean they are going to get to your car right away. They may already have the lift tied up with another vehicle. It sounds like they would have given you a car to drive while they fixed yours if you would have asked when you dropped yours off.
Yes that is true. However, the shop or the Service Advisor should have given him a estimated timeframe of when the vehicle should be finished by. Waiting 3-5 days with no answer is horrible customer service by the advisor or the shop.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackfang
Yes that is true. However, the shop or the Service Advisor should have given him a estimated timeframe of when the vehicle should be finished by. Waiting 3-5 days with no answer is horrible customer service by the advisor or the shop.
I agree but from what I see it is not uncommon to have to wait 3-5 days when getting major work done nor is it uncommon for a shop to fix a problem related to the customers complaint without asking the customer first as long as the cost to fix it is not WAY over the orignal estimate.

As far as the law goes the shop is probably in the wrong and I agree that it is bad customer service for them not to have called him to let him know. I don't think it is anything out of the ordnary though, **** happens.

To the topic starter : Don't take this wrong. I don't mean anything personal by it and I'm just going by the information you gave. From the knowlege I have of what goes on in the shops I think it is wrong of you to bitch and complain about the bill. Maybe complain to them about it taking so long and them not calling. Their customer service wasn't great but at least pay the bill. They have to eat too. At the shop I work at the service advisor makes the call to fix it now or ask the customer and if he didn't call you then more than likey he just figured since you had a history with them you wouldn't have a problem with them fixing something related to the complaint.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quickchrome2000
\THE MACHANIC SAID " THIS CAMARO HAS A CORVETTE ENGINE, IF IT WAS A REGULAR CAMARO IT WOLD HAVE BEEN MUCH EASIER AND CHEAPER TO CHANGE AN REPLACE THE PARTS"\
You need to tell this Mechanic that his a friggen moron. Just because this engine is used in the Vette doesn't make it specifically a vette engine. Every car manufacture uses their engines in more then 1 make. You could just as easily say a Corvette comes with a Camaro or Trans Am engine. Yes it's not the V6, but I don't think the V6 would be considered the "standard" for Camaros. That ***** frustrating. Once again this is like when the Chevy dealership told me they wouldn't work on my "Pontiac" ... I wanted to smack them.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't happen to have $100 bills falling out of your *** while you were there did you?

If not, they shouldn't have treated you like you did.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Did they give you a written estimate? and did you sign it? If so you are good. Throw a fit and ask to see the manager (don't cuss just be persistant, you will get your way)
Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Well i see it one way if they are working on an f-body and tell you that you have a corvette engine. Simply put, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS WORKING ON THAT CAR!! That is all.

As for BLACK01M6SS I too have worked at a dealership (over a year) as a tech, as has my father for over 15yrs. (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, You name it) A quote is a quote, and Unauthorized work IS Unauthorized work. I made this same mistake once and got to do the work for FREE. Why should other dudes get off easier bacause you percieve it to be a good deal on the amount they charged?
Thats kinda like a gardener giving an estimate of $25/mo. to cut the lawn, then turns around and does a full re-landscape job while you are on vacation, and expects you to pay $2000 for work done!! Is this fair...NO.
You seem to be the neighbor who says, "Well they did a good job at a fair price, you should pay them", in this situation.