General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

loss of power?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default loss of power?

when i was driving today i noticed that when i am accelerating at a steady pace, my car seems to lose power for a second, then everything will be fine.. almost like the ac compressor is kicking on in a 4 cyl car.

anyone know of some things that can cause this so i can take a look at and fix them?

thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plugs maybe? When's the last time they were changed? Could be a minor misfire that isn't throwing a code. Pull a plug or two (perhaps a couple of the easier ones) and see what they look like. If it's been a while since the last change or you don't know when they've been changed, might as well just do it. It's inexpensive and just takes time.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
when i was driving today i noticed that when i am accelerating at a steady pace, my car seems to lose power for a second, then everything will be fine.. almost like the ac compressor is kicking on in a 4 cyl car.

anyone know of some things that can cause this so i can take a look at and fix them?

thanks
Fuel filter?
Plugs?
Plug wire(s)?
Dirty Fuel injector(s)?
Bad gas?
O2 sensor(s) going bad?

Do a scan for free at Advance Auto, alot of times problems just will not show an SES light, but the scan will show it.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
Plugs maybe? When's the last time they were changed? Could be a minor misfire that isn't throwing a code. Pull a plug or two (perhaps a couple of the easier ones) and see what they look like. If it's been a while since the last change or you don't know when they've been changed, might as well just do it. It's inexpensive and just takes time.
i changed them last fall

not throwing a code, but i have been getting a code from my EGR, but i fixed that problem.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickin
Fuel filter?
Plugs?
Plug wire(s)?
Dirty Fuel injector(s)?
Bad gas?
O2 sensor(s) going bad?

Do a scan for free at Advance Auto, alot of times problems just will not show an SES light, but the scan will show it.

no idea on the fuel filter, its prolly never been changed though, and my car has 110k, didnt change the wires either, but ill look into all of that stuff.

im not sure about the gas, as i got gas last sunday, and didnt notice the problem until today.

but thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
no idea on the fuel filter, its prolly never been changed though, and my car has 110k, didnt change the wires either, but ill look into all of that stuff.

im not sure about the gas, as i got gas last sunday, and didnt notice the problem until today.

but thanks
Alot of miles. Do the filter anyway. Cheap and it takes literally 2 minutes to put on. I doubt its the wires because most likely it would show an SES and it would do it all the time on THAT bad wire. BUT....a wire can fail slowly and if you're into the gas pedal you could generate enough energy to make a clean spark. A failing wire will start to miss evey once in awhile and progressively get worse.

And do yourself a favor if you do buy new wires. Just get the $38.00 set from Advance Auto. There is no need for expensive wires on our engines. My 436 stroker engine runs IDENTICAL with expensive Taylor wires, the factory stock wires and the $38.00 set. Its all hype until you start making 600+ RWHP.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Launching!

i agree with quickin-the wires are all the same til about 600hp

Search this Thread