General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

?'s about posi traction

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default ?'s about posi traction

First off I'm pretty new here. Second, all V8's 98-02 had posi traction correct. I have a 2000 Z28 and I was watching the driver side rear tire when i was spinning the tires to see if it was spinning and it wasn't. Yet there's tire marks on the passenger side. I just did it enough to see if both tires were spinning and i wasn't doing a burnout really. Obviously, my posi traction isn't working correct? What can I do to fix it and how much? My dad knows quite a bit about cars. You think we could do it ourselves? Thx in advance
Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea we have em and the gear ratios for 6 speeds have 3:42's and i THIBK autos have 3:23's not too sure but i noticed that as well that on a lift my car does it as well and everyone thinks i have a open diff. but when i roast them they shut up
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Teching In

It's not "posi", it's a limited slip. Basically this means that if you're going around a turn the limited slip will let the wheels turn at a little bit different speeds so that the tires don't chirp and jump. But if you let it rip, the limited slip locks up and both tires go.

If it were true posi, every time you went around a corner your rear end would jump around and the tires would chirp.

PS Don't flame me...this is a "layman's terms" version.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NeoTINS
It's not "posi", it's a limited slip. Basically this means that if you're going around a turn the limited slip will let the wheels turn at a little bit different speeds so that the tires don't chirp and jump. But if you let it rip, the limited slip locks up and both tires go.

If it were true posi, every time you went around a corner your rear end would jump around and the tires would chirp.

WRONNNNGGGG, so very wrong
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well tell me what your car does then when you hold the brake and push the gas just enough to make your tires turn....cuz only the passenger wheel turns on mine.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

ive got a manual with 4.10s, i spin both my tires all the time, no problems at all.

Id give it more gas then it sounds like you are. make sure you only hold the brakes enough to keep the car from moving. Smoke the tires some and see if the one is still only turning. If you really smoking up the one tire and the other one is just sitting there doing nothing then theres something broken in your differential
Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i cant sit there and roast them om my 6speed ill burn my clutch out or something so thats why i got my line lock ahahha
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
WRONNNNGGGG, so very wrong
Hey Ericbigmac83...what exactly was the point of your post?

If I'm wrong, tell me (and everyone else) why. As-is, your post is completely uninformative, and utterly useless.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NeoTINS

Alright, let me go through this.

Your definition of limited slip is correct enough, under straight line both axles turn at the same speed and under cornering it allows them to turn at different speeds. the limited slip give more torque to the wheel that isnt slipping

A limited slip = a posi, They are the same thing, Posi is just GM's name for it

You are confusing a posi with a spool, A spool is not actually a differential since it locks the axles and gives them equal power at all times. This obviously doesnt work well for cornering since it does not allow the outside wheel to turn faster, thus causing the chirping around corners.

A locker in layman's terms is like a spool except it does allow the axles to dissengage to allow the outside wheel to turn faster around corners

Hope that clears it up
Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Just wrote that up in detail in the rearend section, they should sticky it
Old 05-12-2007, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Alright, let me go through this.

Your definition of limited slip is correct enough, under straight line both axles turn at the same speed and under cornering it allows them to turn at different speeds. the limited slip give more torque to the wheel that isnt slipping

A limited slip = a posi, They are the same thing, Posi is just GM's name for it

You are confusing a posi with a spool, A spool is not actually a differential since it locks the axles and gives them equal power at all times. This obviously doesnt work well for cornering since it does not allow the outside wheel to turn faster, thus causing the chirping around corners.

A locker in layman's terms is like a spool except it does allow the axles to dissengage to allow the outside wheel to turn faster around corners

Hope that clears it up
I accept your apology...J/K

Thanks for the (very thorough) explanation! I appreciate it!

Cue the music..."The More You Know!" =)

Old 05-12-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the thing you have to realize is that, without the posi all the power would go to the passenger's side. The posi forces some of the power to the driver's side. But it is not 100% efficient, and the passenger's side still gets some small percentage more than the driver's side. That is why drag racers go with a spool. It locks the axles, so they both turn as one.