General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure changes at same rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure changes at same rpm

On saturday i changed my oil at home and today i drove my car to school. When i started it up at 650 rpms is was showing 40 psi on the oil guage but when i got to school 20 mins later) for 40 psi it would show 40 psi at around 950 rpms. Right now after class i jus started the car up and it showed 40psi at about 700 rpms again. I checked the oil filter and drain plug on the car and both are clean, but under the car there is oil on the ground. Just wondering if anyone has any idea whats going on with my car.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you just never paid attention to the pressure until now? Or are you saying the needle never moves from 40 then?

The oil leak could be from a lot of places. Try jacking it up and having a look with a flashlight.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

nah usually the pressure stays around 40 at 1000 rpms but i put a little extra oil in so i was expecting it to be high i m just suprized that it 20 mins it went from 40 at 650 rpms to 40 at 900 rpms and an hour later i restart it and its 40 at 700 rpms. Besides i can see fresh oil on the ground and its quite alot for one hour but the dipstick still says full. The reason i cant get under the car right now is i still have class for another few hours. But my question is basically if i had too much oil in there would it leak out by some oil overflow system or is something wrong with the car.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Damm so after my next class i went back and no oil on th ground i guess the car parked there before me had been dripping oil not mine. Check the dipstick shows full, check under the car around drain bolt and filter both are dry so i drive home oil level is normal on gauge. NO problems afterall i think i m going to lift it up in a few hours to double check but so far seems okay.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

How hot's the car getting? My oil pressure varies a good 20 psi at idle (about 50 cold, 30 when its toasty hot) just based on the car's running temperature. Thus, I may leave my house and by the time I get to work, the pressure is a lot lower.

Just an idea...