General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Parking/Emergency Brake Adjusment Screw

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking/Emergency Brake Adjusment Screw

I was trying to adjust my parking brake from being semi effective at nearly 90 degrees to being reasonable (I failed inspection ). I was following the guide at http://shbox.com/1/adjparkingbrake.jpg in combination with some information found on the forum.
When I tried to turn the parking brake adjusment screw it was nearly impossible. The screw felt like it had 3 tracks for a very small screw driver (but did not have the same feeling as a hex) and try as I might I could not get the screw to loosen (or tighten for that matter). Does anyone know how to deal with this screw?

Also, I understand that the parking brake is supposed to be self adjusting and could just be not working well because the pads are low -- is this true? Does this mean replacing the pads would fix the problem?

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Launching!

well my handle used to go all the way up and barely hold the car, and then when i had my tranny out i was looking at the cable and found that it splits off to go to both wheels and saw that one cable came unhooked. so you may want to check that out. just look above the driveshaft about a foot behind the tranny if its a m6, if its an a4 idk how long they are but its not hard to find.

if a cable did come undone you will want to unhook it from the handle so you gain enough slack to hook it back up.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Teching In

No cables came undone unfortunately it doesn't seem like its going to be something simple like that.

I think I have found that it is in fact a hex screw but it is so well stuck in there I don't have anything small enough that can take the kind of force necessary to get it to move.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

dont know if you got the issue corrected, but i think it because the teeth on the gears are stripped or are stripping. mine is doing the same thing.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am having a similiar problem but mine is a problem that makes the parking brake not even grab the teeth. I can push this small lever down to make it engage but once I take the brake off, it makes no contact with the teeth and pulls up freely. GRRR I want my center console back on!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Default E-brake Adj.

http://messageboard.firehawk.org/vie...ake+adjustment i wrote this post # 4 SHORT AND EASY !!!

Quick Reply: Parking/Emergency Brake Adjusment Screw