General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How are the trans/ps/cooling/etc systems actually flushed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How are the trans/ps/cooling/etc systems actually flushed?

I'd like to know for a couple reasons:

A) I just don't know how it's done for each
B) Shops charge an arm and a leg for each, so I'd like to learn what's necessary to perform it

Anyone care to fill me in?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some shops i know of drain it and then use pressured air to clear it out
Old 05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trans pan is usually dropped and filter and gasket changed, ps the fluid just gets sucked out and refilled and the cooling system is done by cracking open the petcock on the bottom of the radiator and fill it back up.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I'd like to know for a couple reasons:

A) I just don't know how it's done for each
B) Shops charge an arm and a leg for each, so I'd like to learn what's necessary to perform it

Anyone care to fill me in?
It is going to vary from shop to shop, but most of them have a company like BG that has a slew of 'flush' machines. The biggest load of crap one in my opinion was when I worked at a Dodge store and we had a power steering machine. It was two tubes side by side, one spit out fresh fluid, the other sucked up stuff in the reservoir, what a joke I guess what you could really do is remove the return line and insert it into an empty jug, and run the car while continually refilling the reservoir with fluid. Does that make sense? Because I'm really tired

Transmission machines are a little more technical, usually they step in between the lines, so that it pumps fresh fluid throughout the whole trans setup, and dumps the old stuff into a canister in the machine. Messiest machine ever!! Besides after a certain mileage it's not really recommended to flush an auto trans anyway. So if really necessary I would just drain and refill. Drop the trans pan and replace the trans filter while you are at it.

For coolant, same thing, the machine usually goes in between a return hose and a radiator, and flushes in fresh coolant. There are many other ways to do this...you could continually drain, refill, and then start & run the car until it's all fresh...

Bottom line is the reason it costs so much is probably because the machines cost the dealership a lot of $$, plus you are paying for the materials...for example it can take quarts and quarts and quarts of trans fluid for a flush, and at retail price, that equates to big bucks...
Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. I figured it worked like that, but wasn't sure if it was air/fluid pushed through the system.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Thanks for the info. I figured it worked like that, but wasn't sure if it was air/fluid pushed through the system.
Fluid, it makes it go a lot quicker. Other wise you'd be wasting time trying to bleed the air out of the system.