General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTH is an orifice assembly? A/C problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTH is an orifice assembly? A/C problems...

My A/C isn't working, and to make a long story short... there's a hole in the tube that is at the bottom of the system (it rubbed against the sway bar and wore a hole into it).

The shop guy said the hose needs to be replaced (duh) but he has two other parts listed on the quote. The first is an orifice assembly and I can only find information on an orifice tube. Aparently the tube is a few bucks but whatever he meant by this assembly is $64.63.

I'm also guessing that the hose in question is the compressor to condessor hose, right? He says that'll cost $108, but I think I can get it from Dal for $52.

He has one more part that is really hard to read, but I THINK it says "A/C receiver dryer." Could that just be the drier? He's got $141 down for it so that seems really high since it MSRPs for $87 and I can get it for $50.

Am I missing anything else for parts that should be required? If I can figure out all the right parts, I want to see if they'll do the work if I provide the parts. They're offering me a little bit of a deal since I already had them recharge the A/C once. ($182 labor, $60 to flush the system, and $45 worth of R134).
Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The orifice is a metering device.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The assembly is probably the a/c line with the orifice tube inside it.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars have an orifice tube, not an expansion valve. They are completely different, but perform the same function. They create a pressure drop via restriction. Pressure drop is the source of the system cooling.

Replacing the orifice tube while performing AC service is ALWAYS good practice.

It sounds like the guy you took it to knows what he is doing by recommending what he did. For what you described, I would recommend to my customer at minimum a new hose to repair the leak, and the receiver/drier (this component has a dessicant in it which absorbs moisture which is most likely saturated with the open hose under the car). A prolonged vacuum just will not remove the trapped moisture when the system is open to water/debris from under the car. Then flush and recharge system. While the part prices may be just a little high, I'd say that's a fair estimate!

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 05-15-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, cars with orfice tubes have an accumulator instead of a reciever/drier. Kinda do the same thing but are in two different parts of the A/C system. FYI, in case the parts guy can't find a reciever/drier.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

I went to a second shop and looked in my service manuals... I talked to the original guy again and it was a mistake. It's the orifice tube, not an orifice assembly (expansion valve).

The hole in the tube is super tiny... It's small enough that when they ran a vacuum on it, it sealed itself and didn't leak.

I'm looking at getting the drier/accumulator, hose assembly, and orifice tube from Dal and doing the tubing changes myself. I just need to make sure I have the right o-rings (don't know if the GM parts come with them or not) and get some of the right mineral oil for the seals.

The original shop recommended a flush as well (although the 2nd shop said to make sure the condensor doesn't get flushed...) so I'm debating that part. Is a flush done through the same valves you use to charge the system, or do you take part of it apart or ??

Any real risk/issue with doing the labor myself?

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinID
The original shop recommended a flush as well (although the 2nd shop said to make sure the condensor doesn't get flushed...) so I'm debating that part. Is a flush done through the same valves you use to charge the system, or do you take part of it apart or ??
The condenser on these cars, like most newer cars, cannot be flushed. The lines in them are just too small. And thorough directions should come with the flush kit that you purchase if you DIY.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by intense3123
Also, cars with orfice tubes have an accumulator instead of a reciever/drier. Kinda do the same thing but are in two different parts of the A/C system. FYI, in case the parts guy can't find a reciever/drier.
hes exactly right