General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF Happened

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF Happened

Ok so i just got my car back had allot of work done on it, New rearend, new drive shaft, New pads rotors, plugs wires, and i had a leak in my opti so i got a new summit opti, had the car back for a day and a half and i just finished driving for about a half hr and all the coolent is boiling out of the top of the reservoir im letting the car cool off now then WTF should i do?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling
Old 05-15-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure your fans are coming on....could be an air bubble in the system.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have gotten all the air out of your cooling system. The buttheads at the shop once gave me only half the required coolant. Not cool (if you'll pardon the pun).

Even when you correctly fill the system it can take as many as 100 miles to work out all the bubbles.

Likewise, I'd be sure the fans are coming on.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cap pressure
Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Start simple, make sure there is no air in the system.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

ok so heres whats up. Every time i drive for a little bit the coolent starts overflowing out of the res. so i bought a new therostat and coolent to flush out the system because someone told me it might be that, i go under the car and the Freeze plug is GONE. ok great so now im on the hunt to find one and i hope thats the problem, also the system seems really dirty so im going to give it a good flush before i go and kill the guy who worked on the car. Put me as #1 newbie Retard.......

let you know what happens
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

are there more than one freeze plugs? if so where are they im missing the one under the exhaust manifold
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=coolant
gonna try some of these tips afer i get the plug back in and do a flush
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mikex70
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=coolant
gonna try some of these tips afer i get the plug back in and do a flush
Bro, when the bubbling over of coolant happens, what does your temp guage read? Make sure you're actually running hot before you go crazy trying to find a cooling issue.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

so i flushed out the res, was really rusty so im going to flush it out again in the morning. the car isent running hot until after i turn it off then the gauge gets up to 3/4 and thats when it starts to over flow. What is the best way to relieve the air and get the bubbles out? It got to dark so i had to stop and i gotta go find this plug tmrw. So pissed had to miss work today because im down in the city gotta get this fixed tmrw... Thanks for the help so far. Im gonna go buy new Caps tmrw as well.. ill keep checking back for more tips.....
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

sorry so im missing one BLOCK DRAIN PLUG not freeze plug where do i fing one can i got to a hardware store and pick up a bolt the same size?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Normal first steps in getting air out of your system...

Start with cold car.

Remove radiator cap. If coolant level is not covering the core, fill to above core but not all the way (this is important). Start car.

As the bubbles work their way out you'll be able to see them. As the system warms up you'll see a little bit of steam coming off the coolant. Don't freak out.

Increase the rpms by hand. Keep it steady. Don't rev it so fast that it overflows. That is why you didn't fill it all the way to the top earlier.

Increase the revs. Watch the bubbles come out. When the coolant gets warm enough to open the thermostat you should see a new crop of bubbles.

Add coolant as required but leave room for the coolant stream to splash around.

When it looks like you've gotten about as much air out as you're going to, and before it starts to overflow, stop the car. Fill system to just below the filler neck. Replace the radiator cap.

Drain your coolant overflow bottle by removing the hose to the radiator and running it down into a bucket or something. Ensure the hose stays pointed into the bucket. Stick a garden hose in the top and spray the hell out of it do dislodge the crud and goo. Drain. Replace the hose to the radiator.

Clean off the crud from the level indicator. Refill overflow bottle to 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Drive. Check. Repeat. As the remaining bubbles work their way out the bottle level should go down. Add coolant to the overflow bottle as required to keep it at approximately 1/2 full.

If this basic service doesn't get it, there's something else wrong.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Teching In

The exact same thing happened to me when i bought the car a month ago the guy that owned it be4 me worked on it and had it sitting becuz it would always over heat he had the hoses on wrong were the coolant hose would just pump rite back into the resevoir check your hoses
Old 05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

i took every step that i have got so far and its still overflowing and now starting to get hotter than before, i got to nervous and took it to a shop. let every one know what happens and thanks for all the help
Old 05-26-2007, 04:12 AM
On The Tree

OK SO HERE WE GO AGAIN.....
its been about a week and the car is riding fine, i pack up for the weekend ready to do a 4hr drive to go away with my girl. Drive around for about 20 min and i get on the high way and i check my gauges and my temp is at 260 i pull over nervous as hell and the same Fing prob all over again i roll to the nearest gas station and im still overflowing... could the thermostat have got Fed up again? do i have a more serious prob?? and why the hell is green **** still over flowing when the shop i brought it to used a universal clear and i flushed it 5 times my self? all i know is im losing my mind with this car and my weekend is F***ed aNd im stuck upstate waiting until tues to get it checked out.... what should i do??
Old 05-26-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

have you ever actually watched the fluid circulate?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

i've run it with the cap off and watched it flow yes, also can feel it flow thru the hose, ive replaced Both caps and have no clue whats up. the first time i drained the system the coolent was very brown and gunky, could there be a clog? the system was pressure tested there are no leaks, do i need a new radiator or water pump? im going broke with this thing dont help that im not working but its the only car i got. What should i do?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Should i just put in a new radiator? like i said when i did the first drain there was allot of gunky **** in there could it be clogged up??how tuffs the install? what brand should i go with Proliance radiators is a good price? Any sponsors with good price & ship time or should i just pick one up from napa? how do you check if the water pump is working.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Not cool (if you'll pardon the pun).
denied. ban hammer

+1 for air in the system.

just a note: i had this problem when i got a new water pump. turns out the casting was bad. basically, the hole that leads into the motor was blocked completely. obviously, this isn't your problem as it's the water pump you've always used, but it may be clogged if it's not air in the system...

also, another thing is the radiator cap itself. your radiator cap may be failing intermittently. it wouldn't hurt to by a new one. i can't see them being that expensive.