General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

non-ls1 ... need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-ls1 ... need help.

Not sure what the problem is... bought an 88 Cutlass Sierra from a guy on here and have had a problem with in the last few weeks. It was running somewhat rough after awhile, for a few weeks anyway... it'd idle rough then stutter and shut off, but while driving it was fine. After a short trip from home to daycare, it was turned off for a short while then wouldn't start up... it'd just turn over a few times but wouldn't fire, just made a metallic clunk and stopped. It was getting spark, getting fuel... now its at a mechanic and they're saying it has no compression, the timing chain is screwed and the motor needs to be replaced ...

at first, just because it was cheap, I replaced the fuel filter... no problems there at all.
my next thought was the starter, never got to replace it as I ran out of time.
so...
am I being given a line of **** or should I pay another 65 bucks and tow it elsewhere and waste more of my money...

it sounds like it really wants to fire... but then when you think its going to, it clunks and is done.

air, fuel and fire are all present...
what the **** am I missing here?

i've considered alternator and battery, but according to the papers as far as I can tell they're still fairly new...

I'm at a loss.