General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car will not shift into park?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not shift into park?

Hey guys I have a slight problem, nothing to cry over but it pisses me off that theres an imperfection here, It would seem that out of nowhere, my car will not shift into park. It is a 1994 firebird formulav8, I was coming home from graduation and as i hit my driveway i went to put it into "park"(automatic transmission) while the heads up display shows that the shifter is in park, the car was actually in reverse, neutral rarely exists in it now, when i put it into neutral it usually stays in drive, not all of the time but some of the time. however PARK NEVER EXISTS, please guys i'd appreciate some help on identifiying this problem, I suspect the linkage but im not 100% on that, if it is linkage would anyone know how much it is to fix? could i fix it myself?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't park on a hill.j/k
check your transmission mount and check the linkage.As far as you repairing it,IDK,don't know what you can do.You'll be the only one who can answer that one.Good luck.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, Check the linkage, My 98 did the same thing but mine did it caust the bolt backed out of the shifter linkage on the pan.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you sure the car is not in park and it is not just the little dial that is messed up not showing park?

IF it is not letting you push the shifter all the way up I doubt it is a linkage because it would still go all the way up just not engage in the gear that you want!

Check for loose change around the shifter!! You'd be surprised what a damn penny or dime can do lol

Quick Reply: Car will not shift into park?