General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car losing all power and then magically getting it back?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car losing all power and then magically getting it back?

I posted about 2 weeks ago how my car lost all power and then i tightend the positive terminal and the car has been good for 2 weeks, fast forward to tonight out of the blue, same damn thing happens, i pop the hood and touch the positive cable and the car has power again? Its screwed in all the way? Any ideas guys? Doesn't seem like the battery is bad.

Im leaving for a road trip back home in less than a month and the car can't be doing this. I don't trust any garages around here and there really isn't any to begin with.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
I posted about 2 weeks ago how my car lost all power and then i tightend the positive terminal and the car has been good for 2 weeks, fast forward to tonight out of the blue, same damn thing happens, i pop the hood and touch the positive cable and the car has power again? Its screwed in all the way? Any ideas guys? Doesn't seem like the battery is bad.

Im leaving for a road trip back home in less than a month and the car can't be doing this. I don't trust any garages around here and there really isn't any to begin with.
Could be one of two things maybe. Corrosion deep inside the positive battery terminal. Or maybe just corrosion right on the surface where you can see it. You may have to take the battery out to look into the threaded hole for the positive terminal.

Also, I had this once: The positive terminal inside was loose, it had actually come unseated in there. You'll have to get a new battery if this is the problem.

But check for corrosion build-up everywhere.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with quickin. make sure there is no corrosion and that the terminal is tightened. i once forgot to tighten it and while i was drivin i hit a pothole and the car turned off. it scared the **** out of me, but i found out that the positive terminal wasnt tightened good.
btw coca cola will help u get the corrosion off, and make sure after u clean it to put a little grease around the terminal to make sure that the corrosion doesnt return.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wire on wire, corrision, or internal alternator problem
Old 05-25-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this with a A/C Delco battery?
If so its junk, get it out of there. Its a tell tail sign that it is about to fail. I had the same problem and then it puked it gutts all over and mad a big mess. Common problem where the positive post's brake within.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i went today to get it checked, the negative was a bit loose as in i wrenched it another full turn easy. He checked the batt and alt, 14.1 volt consistent? Should i still get a new battery?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're probably OK if it was that loose.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little problem awhile back. I was driving along 1 day and my car just died lost all power everything. Started wiggling **** around under the hood and it turned out the bolt that holds the ground down on the drivers side head came loose and the ground wasnt tight. Let me tell ya it was embarassing with alot of hot chicks standing around along a main street
Old 05-25-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its just odd that the car never lost power once it got running, but when i went to restart the car, nothing, this was the first time it happend. Im hoping it was just a loose connection, but im gonna go ahead and replace the battery with one at costco anyways.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Im leaving for a road trip back home in less than a month and the car can't be doing this.
The quote is the key to your decision. Might be a better idea to put a new battery in now rather than take your chances in some strange town. At the very least it should eliminate one cause.

Search this Thread