General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Broke my battery tray bolt :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my battery tray bolt :(

I was taking out my battery to throw into my other car to drive it around the neighborhood a couple of times, it came out alright but not in the manner I had hoped. The 1/2 bolt that hold the battery to the tray with that little plastic thing snapped. Do I need a new battery tray or what, or should I try to drill out the old bolt... it only has a 1/2 head and is pretty long I don't believe I'd want to risk that if a new tray isn't that much. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Hey welcome to the club I've done it... a lot of people have. Stubborn little bugger that bolt, but the jokes on it I snapped that sucker in half

Anyway I put my battery in the trunk with 2g battery cables, but I had to replace my battery cables anyway as I stripped out the positive side screw.

Sorry I guesse I haven't helped you out at all, shame on me.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

I would put my battery in the trunk if my airride equipment wasn't already in there. I snapped mine in half as well. Oh well guess I need to find out what in the hell part that is and get a new tray.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

So no one else has had this problem?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Trust me plenty of people have, do a search on it
Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got done with the exact same problem. The bolt had rusted where it went through the piece that holds it to the body. Depending on the situation here's what I'd do.

1) First of all pull out the battery tray/coolant reservoir (It's real easy, just remove one bolt under the battery and disconnect the line where it attaches to the radiator). This will give you a significant amount of remaining stud to work with. You can try to grab the remaining stud with vice grips but I doubt it'll work. Assuming that didn't work, get a stud extractor. Try it from the top, if that doesn't work try it from underneath with a big *** extention.

2) If it comes loose, great. Buy another bolt and you're good to go. In my case, it was in such bad shape it broke the retainer loose from the body and left a square hole. To remedy the situation I bought a square nut from a hardware store to fit into the hole and used some jbweld to secure it. Fit nice and tight. Bought a bolt from the store and all was well.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm a little slow, I am just now realizing that my battery is just sitting in there. Nothing is holding it down. What am I missing? Can someone snap a pic? It's an LT1 by the way.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

LT1 LS1 V6 shouldn't matter. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. Its a trapezoid, black plastic, with a hole through it which fits a bolt with a 1/2" head approx 3" in length. The plastic piece is about 3/4"-1" deep.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:37 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
Ok, I'm a little slow, I am just now realizing that my battery is just sitting in there. Nothing is holding it down. What am I missing? Can someone snap a pic? It's an LT1 by the way.
I noticed mine is doing the same thing, LS1 though.

BUMP....

Quick Reply: Broke my battery tray bolt :(