General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting Problems Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting Problems Please Help

Ok guys I am having a problem with my 02 WS6. The problem started after the car had not been cranked for 3-4 weeks when I was out of town. The car did not want to start, it would just click a few times and try to turn over but would not fire. I bought a new Optima red top and installed it in the car. It was doing the same thing but faster clicking and would finally fire after turning over quite a few times. After letting it sit overnight, it would not crank and had to jump it off. After jumping off the car would run fine, until it sat more than an hour and then I would have to jump it off again. I took the car into the dealership and was told it was a bad battery. I took the Optima back and had it exchanged for another new one. After installing the new one it is still doing the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? If it was the battery I don't think it would do the same exact thing on 2 brand new and one old(stock), would it? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you would have seen this while changing the battery twice, but surface corrosion on the positive terminal will cause your problems.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Teching In

There was a little corrosion on the terminal and I cleaned it off the first time a changed it, but i will get another one and change it out just to be safe.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

this is kinda crazy but is your alt draining your bat? if you put a charger on it and then try to crank will it work? have you installed anything new that maybe is wired wrong and will drain the power from the battery?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Teching In

I have an aftermarket amp and radio in the car but they were in well over a year before the problems started even started. I did check all of my wiring though and could not find anything wrong. Could the alternator just go out from sitting for a while when the car was not ran?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:19 PM

Default 2000 Z28 conv won't start after driving

I have the opposite problem, whenever I drive 10-15 min or more, my car will not start until it has sat for 20-30 minutes. I have replaced the battery and the starter. My car started every time for about three weeks, but yesterday I got stuck twice after stopping. The car doesn't even try to turn over, it acts like a dead battery, just click. But the battery is strong- all the lights, radio, windows, etc.. work fine. Then after I wait half an hour or so, it just starts right up. Somene suggested my nutural switch????
Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Wow that does seem strange, never heard of that before.