General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Wheel Bearing?

Well my car has 42k on it and I just pulled it out of storage. I put about 200 miles on it, and now, it squeaks when turning right, and or sometimes while going straight but never when turning left. I've narrowed it down the driver rear. It's a continuous "squeak squeak" that increases with speed but stops when I get on the brakes, yet can't be head above 35-40, and it doesn't sound like a brake pad dragging. The only thing I've done within the 200 miles is install LCA's, and put my wheels back on. It was fine for a couple miles after that, then it sat for a week and now the noise. I got it up in the air yesterday and noticed there is about a 1/6th" maybe less of play in the wheel. When I put a pry bar under the tire I can lift it ever so slightly, but it also does this on the pass side, which makes no noise. So could it be a wheel bearing or just something rubbing within the brake assembly? I don't think it's related to the LCA install because it has nothing to do with going over bumps, and varies with speed. If anyone could give me some input I'd really appreciate it. I finally got the car out of storage and now I'm scared to drive it .
Thanks in Advance,
John
Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a brake pad wear indicator hitting the rotor. Have you checked for a worn inner pad on that wheel? If they are original pads, they are gone.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greggy
Sounds like a brake pad wear indicator hitting the rotor. Have you checked for a worn inner pad on that wheel? If they are original pads, they are gone.

+1, had the same problem. If it was your bearings, it would sound like a bunch of rubber-bands (had to put that in general terms) and it would pop whenever you turned the wheel. Trust me, I broke my front right wheel bearing last weekend at G11
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies. The pads have no more than 5k on them and to me, it doesn't sound like noisey brakes. I guess maybe something is rubbing the rotor some how. But is it normal for there to be that much play in the wheels?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

the play in the wheel couldn't be from somthing that is happening on the rear. if anything you have two problems.

where is greg house when you need him.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Play in the wheel is a sign of wheel bearing damage. Put the car in the air and grap the wheel on the 12 oclock position with one hand and grap the 6 oclock with the other hand. If you can feel play in the wheel with handfs there then its the bearing more than likely.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Our rear ales wil move in and out a bit. That is normal. If the rear wheel moves in and out too much, say > 1/8" or so, then youmay have a worn axle C-clip or bearing surface. Maybe the axle is moving and contacting the pads on turns. That's all I got.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I got the car up again, and when grabbing the wheel from top and bottom, it moves about <1/8" so I'm thinking it's not the bearings(that and the noise stops when I hit the brakes). But, when I push the wheel in I can hear what I think is the same squeak. I went ahead and took the caliper and rotor off to get a better look and everything appears to be fine. Once I put the rotor and caliper back on and tried pushing and pulling on the just the rotor I noticed I heard the pads backing plate rubbing on the clips that hold them in place within the caliper. Now, I don't see how that could be causing the constant squeak that varies with speed(but can’t be heard after 30). I'm at a loss hear and don't want to replace the bearings if it isn't necessary. By the way, both wheels have the same amount of play and only the drive side makes the noise...I’m open for suggestions if anyone has any.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

could be the parking shoe-sytle brake assembly that is inside the rotor?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this is a pain but take the wheels back off, get it in the air, and then take the rotor and caliper off as before. Spin the hub slowly and see if there is noise. With your breaks off, if it is the brakes at all, there will be no noise. If it is a wheel bearing, you will hear it grumble slightly when you turn the hub by hand. You might even be able to feel the rough part of the bearing or axle (if it exists) as you spin it by hand. Also while the brakes are off, look at the oil seals behind the hub on the axle tube. If there is a bunch of goo all over the back of the hub, your seals are probably shot and you could be starving your bearings anyhow.

FYI, when I had wheel bearings go out (and they did in a big way) the speed I could hear them at was generally consistant but did change occasionally and they were slienced for a time by hitting big bumps. MY wheel bearing noise was more like a rock tumbler and less like a squeak, so I think this may be breaks.

His idea about parking brake is good though - I would check them for proper disengagement.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

I took the car out that night and oddly enough, the squeak was gone...then came back after about 5-10 miles. I'm thinking it has to be something with the brakes. I'm going to take the caliper off again lube everything up real well within the caliper and hope it works. When I had the hub off I looked at the bearing seal and it appeared to be ok to me. I'll take a pic of it and post it when I go in there again.
thanks again for the input
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I took the car out that night and oddly enough, the squeak was gone...then came back after about 5-10 miles. I'm thinking it has to be something with the brakes. I'm going to take the caliper off again lube everything up real well within the caliper and hope it works. When I had the hub off I looked at the bearing seal and it appeared to be ok to me. I'll take a pic of it and post it when I go in there again.
thanks again for the input
Did you get this figured out? My car has a similar problem and it goes away (at least temporarily) if I grease the brake caliper slides. Might be worth a shot. Anyway, if you figured it out, let me know since I'm curious if there's a better than temporary fix for my problem too.

Joe
Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Not to bring up an old thread but just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and fixed it, I have a constant squeak that goes away when i hit the brakes its driving me nuts. Just trying to get some tips before i start.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Again, I Hate to dig up old threads, but also hate to start new ones when I have a relevant problem. PRetty much same situation as the OP. Aquired my 99 from my father this past weekend. Drove good and fine on the way home. A few days later hear a similar sound. Mine usually occurs from a dead stop, say from a stop sign or light. Speeding up, there is a squeak, squeak, squeak which increases with speed. The sound, doesn't necessarliy go away, but becomes in-audible for the most part at higher speeds, if I have my drivers side window down, and a car beside me, I can hear it even at higher speeds. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the drivers side rear. I had to have both rear axle bearings replaced, unrelated problem, but the sound did not go away with this fix. I also checked the brake pads and rotors and again, they were in good condition. I don't think the rotors are warped, they were change at about 30K miles, and there is no vibration like would normally be associated with this. I still say that I personally think it is brake related, but can't pinpoint the cause. I can hear a very light almost grinding sound when I first-lightly apply the brakes and then it goes away with harder application of the brakes. any possiblity of driveshaft and/or u-joints, rear end fluild(cause of limited slip diff.) or brakes? I'm thinking brakes, but like said, pads and rotors look fine. Is there anything else related to the brakes that could be rubbing?

Also, to update. Went out this morning, before heading into work, and lubricated the Drivers Side Rear brake caliper. The squeaking, at least going from a stop, to getting up to speed, has stopped completely. There is still, just a very faint squeak, when barely-lightly applying the brakes. Thats not to say that it will not return, just looking for advice.

Last edited by L33Z71; 07-11-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Anyone have an update on this one? My car is doing the exact same thing....squeak squeak squeak....coming from drivers side rear and seems to go away at higher speeds. I can definitely hear a slight grind at lower speeds and when backing up.

I suspect its my rear brakes - I haven't replaced the original pads and rotors since the car was new, and I have 40,000KM (of rather hard city driving) on the car, but I am a little suspicious as I had my pinion bearing and side axles just recently replaced and I got the noise just after all this work was done.......

I'd sure like to know if any of you folks above got this sorted out.........
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digging up an old thread. My car has this similar squeak as all have posted above over the years, mine is coming from what seems the passenger side rear. Car has sat for almost a year after a bad day at the track. Original 10 bolt was re-built with all new components including Axels and wheel studs. On my way home I noticed the squeak. Assuming it's brake related, I'm going to dis assemble the rear brakes and start from scratch this weekend. Maybe pads improperly seated? Any info or possible causes would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking you should lube the calipers, pads, slide pins, all that good stuff. Seems to be the problem for other people, and it makes sense that if it sat for over a year, it could've dried out some.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Thanx alot for the info. Any particular lube recommended

Quick Reply: Bad Wheel Bearing?