General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dirt in AC Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dirt in AC Evaporator

My AC has been left open for a few months. I had the evaporator holes clogged and taped to keep it clean, however, I have just noticed that it didnt work, it came undone and now there is dirt and nastyness in the evaporator. My question is, is the evaporator a solid line, and can it be just flushed/cleaned to get ALL the dirt out? or is it like baffled or not straight through and flushing wouldnt get all the stuff out? Does that make sense? Meaning does it flow through unobstructed? I dont want to replace it, but will if I need to. Thanks,
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure it's just a solid tube that bends back and forth across the cooling fins. An a/c shop would probably flush it for you. If you had your system open long enough for dirt to get in the evaporator you'll probably also have to replace the dryer/accumulator.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, the whole system failed, when I did the engine swap, I just didnt bother with the AC, and with summer here, I am regretting it, and ive got a new compressor, accumulator, and condenser ready to go. Thanks, thats what I was thinking, too, just wanted more input before I try, since I dont want to mess up the other $600 worth of parts
Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Oh yeah, the whole system failed, when I did the engine swap, I just didnt bother with the AC, and with summer here, I am regretting it, and ive got a new compressor, accumulator, and condenser ready to go. Thanks, thats what I was thinking, too, just wanted more input before I try, since I dont want to mess up the other $600 worth of parts
Hell yeah, man. Can't get by without a/c around here