General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security not letting me start the car. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Security not letting me start the car. Help!

When I purchased my 98 Formula, I only recieved one set of keys for it. Since then I acquired a second set by going to a local hardware store and having a duplicate set made. The first time I used the door key (the new duplicate one) to open the door, the alarm sounded (the standard horn honking GM alarm). After I inserted the duplicate ignition key into the ignition and turned it to the accessory setting it stopped the alarm, and started fine. It has been about 5 months since then and every once in a while the duplicate door key will set of the alarm only to be silenced again by the duplicate ignition key (this has happened maybe a dozen times in the last 5 months).

Thismorning, I used the duplicate key to unlock the door (no alarm sounded), and went to start the car with the duplicate ignition key and nothing happened. The volt meter says the battery is still good, but the "security" light is illuminated in the dash. I even tried jump starting it, but nothing happened. I haven't had a chance to try to start it with the GM keys yet as my wife is at work with them.

Will the GM keys start the car? Or is there something I need to do to reset the security light? Or is there a certain time I need to wait? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to get that other set of keys if possible. I had this happen and thought it was because it was cold out and the car came out of a heated garage where it'd be sitting for a while. Anyways, I had my spare keys by accident and was told it was probably something ot do with the chip in the key. Not sure what you can do from that but that could be what it is. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I will be trying the GM keys once the wife gets home. The duplicate ones worked fine (other than every once in a great while setting the alarm off from unlocking the doors), until now. Maybe its all in the duplicate keys. Hopefully the GM ones will make it start.

Anyone have any facts on this???
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

SAME EXACT THING happened to my LT1. Happened completely out of nowhere. Turns out it was the ignition switch located down in the steering column. Just some food for thought...

-J
Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Since this has pretty much given me issues only with the duplicate set of keys, I am guessing it is the security system not accepting the keys, as the GM ones seem to have always worked fine rather than a switch going bad.

Anyone else have any guesses? Or info on the LS1 security light?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

The door key shouldnt cause any problems. The ignition key has to have the little chip in it or the car will kill itself. Tried to just have a key made and car will run for a couple of seconds and then kill itself. Inserting a GM key should start it.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Well, after trying the GM key, sure enough it started right up. I don't really know why the duplicate key worked for 5 months, and then today decided to not work. I haven't tried to start the car with the duplicate key again yet. When I do, I'll post up what happens.

Anyone know why this would be??
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

my car has done it with the gm key too. my old lt1 used to do it all the time! all you have to do is give it about 10 minutes or so and the light will shut off and start up just fine.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Happened to me comming out of the movies the other night. I used the keyless entry and the ignition key from the factory. Just let it sit for 5-10 minutes (however long it takes to get the light off) and just made sure the chip on the key was clean. Started right up.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well I waited hours before re-attempting with the duplicate key, and it still didn't fire up. After trying the GM key though, it started just fine.

Perhaps I just need to look into getting another key from GM, and not trying to save the oodles of $ by going to a hardware store.

I still don't understand how it worked for the past 5 months, and all of a sudden now it decided to be picky.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

must be a fluke, the hardware store one should never have worked.. my .02
Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Just bypass the Pass Key II system. Do a search for "VATS bypass". I did it because the system was malfunctioning and I didn't want to replace the entire steering column. Just solder in a resistor. There is a kit GM sells to determine which resistance value works on your car. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

The hardware store has keys with chips in them (same as GM). To get a key made, they first scan your GM chip, and then determine which key you can use (there are SEVERAL). And then they cut the key same as others.

I can understand if the key didn't work from the get go, but I fail to understand why after all this time it desides not to work now.

I still haven't tried the key again yet since starting it with my GM one. I'll try it again and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, I don't really want to change the cars security system. I just want to find out why the car is doing this, and if I can get another key without having to spend the $ from GM.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club

i know. just use the original key! problem solved.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by subhumanzz
i know. just use the original key! problem solved.
lol, Well in theory that would be the simple solution. However my wife and I both drive it, and with our conflicting schedules, one set of keys is a hard thing to manuver. Let alone, I like having a spare set in case the originals accidently get locked in or lost.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

take out the battery and put it back in.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by That_guy
take out the battery and put it back in.
How will this make my duplicate key read any different?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that while the duplicate key DID work, your VATS system wasnt functioning properly.

I guess it's a good feature, but, it can be aggravating when the security light comes on for seemingly no reason when you ARE trying to use the correct key.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have bought extra vats keys on ebay and they have worked fine for me, you just have to make sure to get the correct resistor for your car.
Maybe the key you got from the store didn't have the correct resistor in it.

You should check both your keys with a volt meter to see if they are the same.

Like previously stated, you can always bypass the vats.