General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlights gone wild

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights gone wild

headlights not working properly-

I have flip-up headlights. The passenger side started taking a few clicks to open, then a few more and eventually it wouldn't go up at all. I used the manual override and the both worked, but after the passenger side would go down, the motor would keep spinning and make a horrible grinding sound for a few seconds. Then, when I went to turn on or off my alarm, both lights would move halfway up and down repeatedly and the alarm wouldn't arm. It would just chirp and act weird. It seems the manual override completely "confused" the headlight motors or something. Voltmeter shows each motor is getting 12volts. I just have them manually stuck up for now, but would like to have them fully functional again. Any suggestions? Has anyone's headlights freaked out on them like this? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

It sounds like a few loose connections or a bad BCM(body control module) coupled with bad gears in pop-up light motors. Check out this website.
Headlight Fix
Make sure to read the "Common headlight problems" section. Good luck.
Personally, I never turn my headlights on or off while I'm driving. I feel the wind dragging on the 'eyelids' causes even more stress on the motors and gears than what they are already subjected to. Four and half years and 70,000+ miles later the original motors are still going strong. Wish I could say the same for the passenger side window motor.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Read my sticky in the Firebird forum
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome! thanks