General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help!!... intake manifold swap problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!... intake manifold swap problem

I swapped my ls1 intake for a new slp ls6 intake today and the car won't run now. What happens is when I fire it up it immediately starts and revs to 3-4k then promptly dies. I was thinking that it would likely be a large vacuum leak and have double checked all connections(even the ones on the back of the intake) and re-torqued the intake. The only oddity I had was that the intake seemed to rock back and forth slightly before I bolted it down, as if the intake was warped a small amount. I also got rid of the egr and a.i.r during this manifold swap... though I don't know how that would cause anything like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you keep your tb or did you use one that came with the manifold?, with the moving back and forth it sounds like you might have pinched a intake gasket...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did you cap the vacum hose the went to the air pump relay???
Old 07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Teching In

I did keep the same throttlebody(I assume that is what you mean by tb). I did take the manifold off a second time to check the gaskets and verify that nothing was trapped underneath causing the rocking.

I did try capping the hose the went to the a.i.r pump infront of the drivers side wheel, I also tried pulling the fuse for the a.i.r.

Thanks for the help guys, keep if coming
Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was refering to the small vacum line that is behind the intake(engine) that runs from a t behind the left side(connects to the manifold) and then runs to a relay on the other side of the engine.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

did you end up tugging on the throttle cable? this is also common and it needs to be adjusted
Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've probably got a leak either from the air or EGR system. Put them back on and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

There are some wires under there for sensors. You need to unwrap the tape around them and take off the plastic clips that held the wires to the coolant lines that used to be there. I would almost guarantee this to be your problem, unfortunately you have to take it back off.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

this sAME EXACT problem happened to me a couple months back. all vaccum lines were atached and it still acted like a vaccum leak, which there was still one. almost positive you torqued the intake back down and there was a wire in between the valley and the manifold in the back that isnt lettin it seal up back there and causing a vaccum leak. take it back off, make sure ALL lines and hoses are off the valley, possibly even tape them outta the way so they so dont jump back down there, and put the intake back on. lemme know if this helps.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Default update

I have gotten the plastic clips out of the way, and still have the same problem. To eliminate any concerns that the air or egr is causing these problems when I swap back to the ls1 intake(with EGR hole plugged) it runs normal. On the positive side, after having swapped the intake 4 times in the last few days I have gotten pretty fast with it.

SLP says the wobble is normal and that it will still seal when torqued down... I wish that was the case for me... Mine is like 1/4" off the head before I torque it down... looks like it goes all the way down when torqued, but still won't seal.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

What year car do you have? If you have a 98-99 did you change the coolant pipes. The LS6 intake doesn't sit flat using the 98-99 coolant pipes. You can either grind off some of the bottom which is what I did or get another 2002 front coolant crossover pipe and put it on the back. If you have the right pipes on there then you may have a crack in the intake that you cannot see. I would send it back to SLP and have them send you another one of just get your money back and buy one from here for around $350.00
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98RedZone
There are some wires under there for sensors. You need to unwrap the tape around them and take off the plastic clips that held the wires to the coolant lines that used to be there. I would almost guarantee this to be your problem, unfortunately you have to take it back off.
I just finished doing this and had to take it off to do just that because it was rocking back and fourth on those clips.

I might of missed it but did you pic up a coolant pipe for it?
Got mine from the WS6Store.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...3f1cb8ac7d95ab
Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Teching In

yeah, I have the slp coolant pipe kit installed. Thanks for all the help again guys.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's weird..I have the SLP Intake myself & didn't have that problem..I guess you can check again that all those tubes are hooked together..Did you hook the hose back up to the Brake booster? I just seafoamed & that's exactly what it does when it's dis-connected. Problem I still have is my air doesn't blow out of the vents, only on the bottom..Still haven't figured it out

Quick Reply: Help!!... intake manifold swap problem