General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cooling and electrical issue

Old 07-06-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation cooling and electrical issue

Everything seemed to go wrong at once this week. Here goes.

-the A/C keeps shutting off by itself, i'm not sure why. I know that it will shut off when the water temp reaches like 235 or something, but it was shutting off when the temp was below 210.

-i have some hesitation off the line, like the car is about to die, also at 30-40 mph my converter will start surging under lockup in 3rd gear. The volts are constantly just touching the red in the gauge, and sometimes a little into the red. It almost never reads 13.

-today, my coolant light came on, and its not cuz of low coolant, the level is fine. My water pump was replaced a few years ago, and I put a new thermostat in about a year ago. So could it be the radiator maybe? its the only cooling part that is original (149k miles on it).

Can anyone shed some light on any or all of these issues? And how much its likely to cost to fix it?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off i would check your alternator and all wiring to make sure that everything on that end is working correctly for the low voltage problem. secondly for the cooling issue, is it over heating at all or is the light coming on for low coolant. if only the light is coming on then it is more than likely your sensor if you already replaced everything else. i had the same problem in my z. and every once in a while it would overheat, but when i replaced that sensor everything seemed fine after that.
hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I would say the central issue is low voltage. Solve that problem first. Is it the connections, belt, alternator, battery. The other problems could be related to low voltage. Cooling and heating, hesitation, etc. Get the electric power fixed and I would be surprised if the other problems were still there.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by str8-6
first off i would check your alternator and all wiring to make sure that everything on that end is working correctly for the low voltage problem. secondly for the cooling issue, is it over heating at all or is the light coming on for low coolant. if only the light is coming on then it is more than likely your sensor if you already replaced everything else. i had the same problem in my z. and every once in a while it would overheat, but when i replaced that sensor everything seemed fine after that.
hope this helps.
was the sensor very difficult to replace? i am having the sam prob with the light. i am not overheating or anything but the red coolant light bugs me...lol it only comes on every 7th or 8 start but damn...
Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Teching In

"was the sensor very difficult to replace? i am having the sam prob with the light. i am not overheating or anything but the red coolant light bugs me...lol it only comes on every 7th or 8 start but damn... "

i guess it would depend on your knowledge and what you would say is hard. it only took me about 20-30 minutes, but is well worth it to get that stupid light off.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Teching In

20 - 30 doesn't sound bad. is there a diagram or anything i can refer too?.. this is my first 4th gen but i've had late 3rd gens my whole life.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt..

Search this Thread