General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Overheating

Ever since I have put my LT1 together I have had major overheating issues. I have tried everything I can possibly think of. And have not been able to fix it. I have a 3300 cfm fan, 39 gpm EWP, four row aluminum radiator, I put a pressure tester on it and it holds pressure fine, its not losing any water, I tried reversing the fan, the fan has a shroud on it. i cannot think of anything else. so if anyone has any ideas i would really like to hear them. It seems to me like when the car is moving it wants to overheat but when it is sitting still it will not go past 180. Also the fan blows a lot of air out of the front of the car too. I think that maybe the fan is blowing the air out that is coming in when I am moving. Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm thats weird usually cars overheat when sitting still....so you checked your cap?, you checked and made sure you didnt have any air bubbles?, you checked and made sure the air damn underneath wasnt damaged?....
Old 07-08-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by staringback05
hmm thats weird usually cars overheat when sitting still....so you checked your cap?, you checked and made sure you didnt have any air bubbles?, you checked and made sure the air damn underneath wasnt damaged?....
yes i have checked the cap, the air damn is not damaged, and it doesnt have any air bubbles. but I did remove the crossover tube on the back of the heads. How significant is that tube??
Old 07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm ive never removed it....couldnt you put it back on and see if that makes a difference...why'd you remove it?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=I think that maybe the fan is blowing the air out that is coming in when I am moving. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Well at a certain mph the comp. shuts the fans off to improve airflow, sounds to me you have something directing/blocking the incoming air when driving. Also take out your t stat and stick it in a pot of lukewarm water, put the pot on your stove and turn on fire and see if its working properly.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Burning Rubber
but I did remove the crossover tube on the back of the heads. How significant is that tube??
Ahh, I never heard of removing that. I cant see removing that crossover helping any. Maybe that combustion chamber is creating a lot of heat that is sitting in your heads?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by staringback05
hmm ive never removed it....couldnt you put it back on and see if that makes a difference...why'd you remove it?
i removed it because when I put this motor in my third gen i didnt really know too much about LT1s and didnt think i needed it. i just put it back today and now i think my fuel pressure regulator is messed up. the car just blows a big puff of grayish smoke and sounds like its starving for fuel. Almost the same way it sounded when i had smaller injectors.